Race car project. CS or CSi?

3.0CSi

Reaction score
Hey there

I have a CSi I'm considering to turn into a race car. My question is...
should I remain with the injection or should I switch it to carburetors?

shanon

Reaction score
Depends on what you want it to be and the vintage club rules.
It's your car/project and you can do what you want to put the big grin on.

have fun

BTW: where are you located? We're always looking for other coupes to run with.
Should be some new ones running out on the west coast by this summer.

-shanon

3.0CSi

Reaction score
I'm in the west... of Europe. Portugal. I don't think I'll be running out on YOUR west. :D

Regarding my question, what I want to know is what option will be better regarding power output, cost, simplicity, easiness, parts availability, etc...
Someone might say that the ECU wouldn't do the job, someone might say that it would be easier to tune... I don't know.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My understanding is that the D-Jet system has very limited adjustment and the parts are hard to find. If you start making changes such as exhaust headers, porting, cam angles, etc, the D-jet may not keep up. Since you already have the fuel injection set up, why not go with a fully programmable EFI system? You will need to add some additional sensors on your engine. You would also be able to set up different tuning tables for use on the track versus on the road.

Have fun...

3.0CSi

Reaction score
I don't intend to drive the car in the road anymore. I'm talking about create a race car, as far as I'm able. Also, I want the car to be accepted by FIA. Would that be possible with a fully programmable EFI system?

Tierfreund

Reaction score
For your intentions, I´d go with tripple Webers. Depending on how much power your looking for either DCOE45 oder DCOE48 (the 48 will NOT give more power per se but it will allow bigger venturis that you might need if you manage to get your head to a high flow design)
Robust, tried and tested and very well adjustable to whatever tune your engine will end up with.
The only downsides (poor drivability at low revs, poor cold starts etc.) will not be relevant to your usage on track.

3.0CSi

Reaction score
I've discussed it with the preparator and the guy said ti would be better to maintain the stock injection. So for now that's what we'll do. Thanks for your answer.

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
We are putting triple 50's on our Grp. 2, 3.5 ltr., single cam motor:

50s.jpg

bmw art car

Reaction score
very interesting

i am about to do something similar... but gr 4.
no hyjack intended but do you guys know what rims fit on the gr4 and what measurements they had?
thx
~

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My fronts are 10X15, and rears are 12X15. This was pretty standard on these cars. the IMSA cars were just a bit wider I believe.

The biggest problem with the 15" rim is lack of tire selection. The move has been to larger rims in recent years. Currently my only option is Goodyear slicks, and no options for rains.

bmw art car

Reaction score
My fronts are 10X15, and rears are 12X15. This was pretty standard on these cars. the IMSA cars were just a bit wider I believe.

The biggest problem with the 15" rim is lack of tire selection. The move has been to larger rims in recent years. Currently my only option is Goodyear slicks, and no options for rains.

do you know a size and brand (BBS?) of the IMSA wheels?