Rack&Pinion

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
i'm installing a R&P kit on my C2 now.... remember me the days we looked at it for the E9 but was almost (? ) impossible without getting the firewall more aft.
Was surprized to see many brands who sell kits for the old Corvette's.... will be a great upgrade in direct, precise steering .

( on the E9 we inverted the steering rod and elongated the pitmann arm and idler arm with 35 (?) mm , that already give a much better steering . )

SAM_4132.JPG

A lot of CSL race cars used a rack from an E21 3 series. To do this they shortened the steering column shaft so it protrudes about 50mm through the bulkhead then fit a bulkhead bearing to the firewall. Then use a steering shaft with a UJ on either end to connect it to the rack. It is no so difficult to do....

yes, but if you have to do all the design yourself perhaps not that easy. Getting it all in the right place ( keeping Ackermann principe , bump steer etc ) , how to mount the R&P , brackets etc .... copy a working design OK , but making it from zero ??

@JetDexter did it from scratch on the CSE using a rack from a VW Golf. Works great. Of course, this was to get more room for the battery box, and uses an electric P/S pump from a Mini Cooper, and certainly not a bolt-in.
vwRack.jpg

psPumpEtc.jpg

A lot of CSL race cars used a rack from an E21 3 series. To do this they shortened the steering column shaft so it protrudes about 50mm through the bulkhead then fit a bulkhead bearing to the firewall. Then use a steering shaft with a UJ on either end to connect it to the rack. It is no so difficult to do....

Man, someone needs to create a kit to retrofit our E9s.

Man, someone needs to create a kit to retrofit our E9s.

I thought Vink motorsport had one, but was incorrect. They have all sorts of repop GRP goodies, including the vertical engine subframe and the clocked bellhousing. Also period A-arms with spherical bearings.

Back