Radiator Auto Transmission Hose

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
One of them is stuck at both ends. I have used PB Blaster and soaked it for days, hit it with a little heat (my neighbor does copper work so not worried about the joint). I can see I am distorting the fitting when I try to loosen it. Auto radiators are difficult to find and W&N get over 600 euros. Any thoughts appreciated.....weak acid for oxidation???

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Are you working on releasing a rubber hose from the metal radiator? I use a curved pic to get under the rubber to lift it as much as possible and break the seal without poking the end into the rubber. Rubbing alcohol can also help release/lubricate rubber hoses. If the hose is old and shouldn't be reused, cut it. Make sure you can get a new one first.

Ian

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Ian....this is one of the 22mm pressure fittings from the transmission to the radiator.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Ah, yes. The auto part of the auto radiator. I'd go for more heat if nothing else works, but first you might try a 50/50 mix of ATF and Acetone and some patience.
My gear head engineer friend recommends it and I have used it with good results.

Last edited:

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bob, How about more heat. What's a "little"...? I'd do a propane torch all around for at least 30 seconds. The horizontal position of the joint doesn't lend itself well to fully soaking with any release agent.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't want to melt the hose, tho it may come to that. Gonna give the acetone atf thing a go first, seems there are many a fan of this combo.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm not suggesting you melt the hose. But the fitting and radiator can take a lot of heat. Don't apply the flame directly to the hose.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Two suggestion: take a pick and run it around the outside of the threads as close to the fitting as possible. Then soak again with your solvent of choice. Be patient, every little bit of crap you get off of there gets you closer to moving the fitting.

I've not tried acetone and ATF; Aero Kroil is my go to solvent.

Either way, try the scrape/solvent repeat thing a few times.

Last edited:

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Will let you all know.......between last week and this week,no power for 3 days, no internet for three days.