Radio & A/C switches face plate

gwittman

Reaction score
I have a question regarding the lower dash face plate that the radio and A/C switches mount on. It seems there is a different part number for the early (69/70) Coupes compared to the later (~71-74). Does any one know what the difference is and would they be interchangeable other than possibly appearance?

gwittman

Reaction score
Yes, Dorchester has it right in detail and yes, sfdon, I am referriing to part #12 that is called a cover instead of a face plate.

Actually, all I really need is the blower switch (64511811981) but I don't see them available very often. I came across a cover with both switches and would use the whole thing as long as the cover is in better shape than mine and has no significant difference.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Double 02 in hayward had a box full of used blower switches available as of 3 weeks ago. They also had a few covers. I paid 25 bucks I think for the cover. Problem is they alll seem to get hacked up by stereo installations.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just left double 02 - they have 10 of the switches in stock. [used]

gwittman

Reaction score
sfdon, thanks for the lead. I did call them and they want a little to much for my needs. I am pretty good at taking things apart and repairing them. I think I will give that a try before emptying my wallet on another used one that may develop a problem with use.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
If it is anything like the Hazard switch (meaning, largely mechanical) I'd bet money you can "restore" the switch pretty easily with a new resistor and a soldering iron, or at best scraping off some of the oxidation on the switch range.

gwittman

Reaction score
The fan switch still works with respect to fan control. The problem I have with it is I have to fiddle with it to shut off the A/C compressor when in the off position. I suspect something has broken loose inside.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
gwittman said:
The fan switch still works with respect to fan control. The problem I have with it is I have to fiddle with it to shut off the A/C compressor when in the off position. I suspect something has broken loose inside.

Are you sure your AC compressor clutch relay is ok? You know how sticky old relays get.

gwittman

Reaction score
Thanks for pointing that out. I will check it out in more detail before I tear into the fan switch. However, I can get the A/C clutch to cycle with the temperature control switch so it is most likely the fan control switch has a problem.

cpeavey

Reaction score
I'd be interested to hear if you can fix your switch.

I have a similar problem with mine. As I turn it up from off, the compressor runs fine, until I move it into the first click, whereupon the compressor cuts out. If I turn the blower switch to the highest setting, the next click stop, the compressor resumes, or if instead I back it down off the stop into the continuously variable range, it will also turn back on. Something has gotten loose in the switch mechanicals. So far, I can live with this, but I'm afraid it will get worse.

Charlie
'74 3.0CS

gwittman

Reaction score
Charlie, I will post when I get the time to get in there and check it out. Happy to share any 'fix it' knowledge I can come up with.