Radio Access

kys911t

Site Donor
Reaction score
Im trying to access the back of the radio. I have AC. Can the side panels of the center console be removed separately or do I need to remove the whole console as a unit? I think one of my wires to the speakers is loose and want to check all of the connections.

remove the 4 side scews (2 on each side of the face plate on the panels). Take off a/c knobs and unscrew the securing rings. Take off radio knobs and unscrew the securing rings. The face plate will now come off and you can pull out the radio.

Steve is correct, however with my Becker it was installed so that the radio can come out without removing the A/C panel, just pulled off the face plate and unscrewed the pressure bars, removed them and the radio slid right out? I think the radio was installed in London if that matters-

Neither options are will work. I have to remove the side panel and remove to the side because AC is in the rear. This is the panel I need to remove.

Attachments

• end panel.pdf
    16 KB · Views: 199
So is it just the screws that are on the face of the panel or are there hidden ones. I removed them but the panel still seems tight. I don't want to force it and break it.

In attempting to remove my radio I proceeded as above. I have little thin discs instead of nuts that lock the switches and radio in, which are turned by means of snap ring pliers. Three of the four, including the two for the radio came out quite easily, but the fourth, right above the radio, for the A/C switch, will not budge. When it got to the point that I thought I might break my snap ring pliers I switched to needle nose vise-grips. Still no luck. I will try some penetrating oil or Coke and if that doesn't do it I might try to file flats on the disc to get a better bite, but has anyone experienced this and/or have another idea?

In attempting to remove my radio I proceeded as above. I have little thin discs instead of nuts that lock the switches and radio in, which are turned by means of snap ring pliers. Three of the four, including the two for the radio came out quite easily, but the fourth, right above the radio, for the A/C switch, will not budge. When it got to the point that I thought I might break my snap ring pliers I switched to needle nose vise-grips. Still no luck. I will try some penetrating oil or Coke and if that doesn't do it I might try to file flats on the disc to get a better bite, but has anyone experienced this and/or have another idea?

I have given up trying to remove this round nut and am resigned to having to break it off by drilling a series of shallow holes in it. But replacement nuts have to be ordered by the dealer from Germany and are $11 (versus the Real OEM price of $2.06). Anyone have a used one for sale?

I will bet BMW sends you flat hex nuts, not the pretty chrome rings. And the threads are extra fine, impossible to find elsewhere.

Back