Radio Installation Query

E3_UK

Reaction score
I have obtained a Blaupunkt Frankfurt set (with knobs matching those on the car) for my '72 E3 along with the correct facia panel matching the tapered sides of the console. I have various mounting chassis that I can adapt however my query is regarding how this is fixed to the console. I don't have AC so it looks like the plastic heater assembly is forming the top surface the radio would be against but presumably screwing into this is a bad idea. Is the correct method therefore to attach it to the vertical inner sides of the console ?. I'm not too keen on doing this either for fear of bursting through the console sides. I'm keen to see what others have done.
Alternatively is there a complete radio/speaker housing available that would just slot into the space below the heater ?.
20240719_143218.jpg
20160114_150014.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice. How is it supported as I see no additional screws in the console sides or is this a dry run with the radio supported by the books below it?

Hi,
on the left the support for the radio is shown:
20240626_174800.jpg
Standard fixing is with screws through the side panels with the possibility of adjustment
If you don't like to drill holes you might fix it from the inside.
I have various radio supports available, just pm me.
Thomas

Last edited:
I mounted my radio bracket with screws on the inside of the console, more difficult & worth it.

This is the speaker that's available through W-N, despite being listed for E24s 6 series.

With little ingenuity you could fabricate or perhaps repurpose an E9 speaker grill from the upper dash.

Just want to make sure I’m clear. Is the speaker part you link to above for the E3 upper dash or the E9 speaker in wood dash panel shown in picture?

Essentially yes, it's the shallow kick panel speaker on E24s &E28s.

Most aftermarket speaker dimensions have larger dimensions & are too deep because of the larger magnets.

Although the dimensions of the speaker we did a group buy on for our E3's with much effort by Dick S was not what was originally intended, the speaker still fit in the dash spot (if you have the cutout over the instrument cluster). Even better, the company is in the UK. That said, I did not see any text indicating a speaker was needed, only info on radio mounting.

https://www.classiccarstereo.co.uk/...kers/svc-7-x-3-loudspeaker-sold-individually/

Very nice. How is it supported as I see no additional screws in the console sides or is this a dry run with the radio supported by the books below it?
Yes, dry run to achieve correct bracket position, now fixed with screws.

Hi,
on the left the support for the radio is shown:
View attachment 187443
Standard fixing is with screws through the side panels with the possibility of adjustment
If you don't like to drill holes you might fix it from the inside.
I have various radio supports available, just pm me.
Thomas
Thanks Thomas, I sourced the same mounting plate and front plate from another supplier in Germany

Although the dimensions of the speaker we did a group buy on for our E3's with much effort by Dick S was not what was originally intended, the speaker still fit in the dash spot (if you have the cutout over the instrument cluster). Even better, the company is in the UK. That said, I did not see any text indicating a speaker was needed, only info on radio mounting.

https://www.classiccarstereo.co.uk/...kers/svc-7-x-3-loudspeaker-sold-individually/
Thanks, I do need a speaker so will use the link, much appreciated.

Can anyone recommend a discrete internal aerial (antenna) suitable for AM/FM reception ?. I have no interest in a modern setup with bluetooth etc. I just want it to sound as it would have in '73 and don't want to mount an external one.

Interestingly, not many comments or reviews on hidden antennas. I think it really depends on your location relative to the stations you listen to and also finding the sweet spot in your car. I ended up placing mine on the firewall behind the glove box of my LHD car.

Here's a recent thread...

Thanks for that. I see there are types with amplifiers (12V feed required), maybe a better option given the less than brilliant FM reception where I am.

Back