Radio - Radio

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
With apologies to Elvis Costello

Anyway, the sound quality of my radio is iffy at best. The radio is a Blaupunckt Dakota and the speakers on the rear parcel shelf are ony 7 years old but the wire connecting said radio to said speakers is threadlike. After hearing the right speaker cutting in and out (mostly out) I opened the truck and gave it a closer look, that is when I discovered the super fine wires (like hairs!).

If / when I replace the wires it should be a simple matter of following them along from one end to the other. Any tips here?

Also, how thick a wire can I use without adding an amplifier?

Last anyone want to come to NH and play shade tree mechanic with me?

jamesr

Reaction score
Hi Stan,

the thickness of the wire won't make any difference, just the quality. If you get yourself a decent bit of copper or silver speaker cable that should carry the signal fine. If you improve the connection then the speakers should also sound better.

The only reason you'll need an amp is if the output (watts) per channel of the radio headset isn't powerful enough to sufficiently drive your speakers. If you think your speakers will benefit from more power, then it's definately worth considering getting an amp.

Cheers,

James

jhjacobs

Reaction score
I would recommend at least 18 gauge wire. Bigger is better to a point; however, even simple lamp cord will perform adequately unless you a a serious audiophile with perfect hearing and you also have no road noise. Adding an amplifier is only needed if you hear clipping (distortion) at high volume levels. Then again, my hearing is shot so what do I know.