Radio removal question...

e3er

Reaction score
I still have the original tired radio in my Bav - but so far (and I havn't spent too much time) I don't see any obvious way to remove it, and it feels like it glued in with concrete.

Is there any e3 specific twist to removal, or just get in there and monkey around...?

I know it seems like an easy question - but when it comes to untouched original cosmetics I always like to proceed with caution...

afeustel

Site Donor $
Reaction score
e3er,
Sorry that nobody more knowledgeable than I has replied...have you removed the radio mount plate from between the 2 vertical trim panels?

Once the side plates are removed, and you have freed up the panel itself, I believe all that should be required is to remove the nuts on the radio shaft(s) and then pull the radio out of the mount plate. There may be a rear radio support, but you should be able to see it once the side panels are removed.

I apologize if my answer is simplistic or stating the obvious but thought that somebody should reply to your question.

Hopefully others will chime in if I have mis-represented the procedure.

Drew

e3er

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Nothing is too simplistic for me!

Usually radio removal is pretty obvious, but even when I had the side panels removed (to install a new shifter surround piece) I didn't see much. I'm sure when I put my head into it, I'll figure it out...

e3er,
Sorry that nobody more knowledgeable than I has replied...have you removed the radio mount plate from between the 2 vertical trim panels?

Once the side plates are removed, and you have freed up the panel itself, I believe all that should be required is to remove the nuts on the radio shaft(s) and then pull the radio out of the mount plate. There may be a rear radio support, but you should be able to see it once the side panels are removed.

I apologize if my answer is simplistic or stating the obvious but thought that somebody should reply to your question.

Hopefully others will chime in if I have mis-represented the procedure.

Drew

afeustel

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Forgot to ask if it was A/C or non-A/C. I just did my A/C car radio and it was as described. Once you remove the side panels the radio (attached to the faceplate) is just sitting there in plain view. For a non-A/C car, I'm not sure but does the radio go in the place that the ashtray is located for A/C cars? If so, you will still have to remove the side panels, and then fishing it out may be a bit tough. If it is below the ashtray location, it may be a bit easier.

e3er

Reaction score
It's an A/C car. Thanks!

Forgot to ask if it was A/C or non-A/C. I just did my A/C car radio and it was as described. Once you remove the side panels the radio (attached to the faceplate) is just sitting there in plain view. For a non-A/C car, I'm not sure but does the radio go in the place that the ashtray is located for A/C cars? If so, you will still have to remove the side panels, and then fishing it out may be a bit tough. If it is below the ashtray location, it may be a bit easier.

FjordTempo

Reaction score
radio surround swap?

Did you remove your stock radio successfully? Have you already cut the opening for a modern radio? I am going the other direction and would love to trade you dash pieces as mine is cut for a modern radio and I am hoping to go back to a stock radio. I have a '76 3.0si (with A/C), if that makes a difference (I can share photos), but I think they're all the same.

May be long shot, but figured it'd be worth asking.

Matt

e3er

Reaction score
Nope - took it apart but did realise that it's not set up for a stock DIN, nor could I remove the dang thing; I put it all back without screwing about with it. I have a later 70s BMW am/fm that I was going to use. Send me a pic of what you have; probably won't go anywhere but what the heck!

[email protected]

Did you remove your stock radio successfully? Have you already cut the opening for a modern radio? I am going the other direction and would love to trade you dash pieces as mine is cut for a modern radio and I am hoping to go back to a stock radio. I have a '76 3.0si (with A/C), if that makes a difference (I can share photos), but I think they're all the same.

May be long shot, but figured it'd be worth asking.

Matt