Radio?

psychrunner

Reaction score
I know I am asking alot of questions as my coupe gets close to completion. I am trying to restrain my excitement. Was a radio an option in the csi? Mine apparently has no radio, which I find hard to believe. Did all US made coupes have them but not Csi's?
Thanks

I'd venture to say most US delivery coupes had a radio, but certainly not all. The most common seems to be the Blaupunkt Frankfurt, followed by various Becker models. I'd also venture to say that none of the originally installed radios were stereo, only single channel AM/FM.

psychrunner said:
I know I am asking alot of questions as my coupe gets close to completion. I am trying to restrain my excitement. Was a radio an option in the csi? Mine apparently has no radio, which I find hard to believe. Did all US made coupes have them but not Csi's?
Thanks

It is my understanding that all radios were dealer installed options. My former US delivery '73 CSA had a dealer installed Blaupunkt Frankfurt. I know this , because all of the original paperwork showed this to be true. It also had the knobs that matched the rest of those on the dash. And, it was stereo.

psychrunner said:
Interesting. Mine was delivered to Italy (no csi's were directly sold to the U.S. is my understanding). Radios may not have been as popular an option in Europe.
Randy

I have owned two Italian delivery CSis, and both had radios. However, they were units installed after the original delivery. I have owned one non-AC radio faceplate from a 74 Euro CSA, but they are very hard to find in my experience. You are correct in that no CSIs were sold new in the US.

Roger Beckham
Madison, GA
72 Golf CSL

If your looking to install a nice radio I would go for the Becker Mexico 7948. It's a retro model of the famous Becker Mexico installed in many top of the range BMW's in the sixties and seventies. But this one has all the modern gadgets like satnav, ipod hook up, blue tooth, hands free phone etc. etc.

It is pricey though... :roll:

http://www.becker.de

Radio

I've got a period correct Becker stored away somewhere. It is either a Mexico or Gran Prix with the correct coupe/02 knobs PLUS it has the original separate Becker tape deck that plugs into the radio and mounts underneath the dash or wherever. I believe it is the Gran Prix.

I will consider trading for CSL parts. (i.e., Alpina Momo leather steering wheel, Petri CSL leather steering wheel and hub, or a set of correct CSL 7x14 Alpina wheels)

Back