Random Thoughts at 38,000 feet...

CRJ Driver

Reaction score
F17AABB8-40A5-4ACB-AD78-872CF1A2A43F.jpeg
Blue skies. Miles above a midwest snowstorm....

After about a 90 min complete space out today at work, I have a few questions for the masses...

1). Do any other triple Weber/itb manifolds (other than the old VGS ones, which apparently do) angle trumpets up enough to clear stock brake booster? The Mangolesti & Pierce manifolds appear to angle them up a lot.

2). If I was going to do a big brake conversion, i.e. the Ireland Engineering Wilwood setup, couldn’t I substitute the brake master for one that fits a very common, small, and therefore cheap brake booster? Negating the need for a tii or it’s red headed stepchild clone from the Volvo 1800?

3). The po had a “3.3 CS” emblem affixed to the trunk. I’ve always thought this was wishful thinking or displacement envy, but just as I was about to reinstall the oil sump I found this...
This appears to be evidence of grinding away for clearance of a 3.3 stroker crank. Are there any quick measurements I can do to confirm whether it’s a 3.0 or 3.3 crank?

Thanks in advance for any insight or conjecture.

View attachment 43667
1). Do any other triple Weber/itb manifolds (other than the old VGS ones, which apparently do) angle trumpets up enough to clear stock brake booster? The Mangolesti & Pierce manifolds appear to angle them up a lot.

AFAIK, no manifold angles the trumpets. The manifolds position the DCOE’s square with the engine, and level to the ground. If you want angled trumpets you need to buy or modify trumpets. The VGS manifold clears the thermostat
housing. I don’t know if any manifold specifically designed to clear the booster. I believe that they all clear the booster, but an air filter will interfere.

According to Weber, side draft carbs should be angled up slightly, I believe the number is 5 degrees.

They say "up to" 5 degrees can improve performance so I suppose level would be ok.

TULHVIA-vE3BYssJOomMvi3zaGrpyP_f19GLiGV5ruTvNAOelaXT6LUFHAi_umKQe2rcYEIqnI5b9zYuTcRRPP7CC9YMceSKg5V6NNkadisj7iy7xGdAiqn9bPjekwnTj0yM4Tv-tYnOB4ADrN2B-UQJYy4LfErP6fTJhwCw4OAUti4nUqS-PaY02gCwC2b7vhJVcEuv3qu7iAuj8sKWR3qYbfhBVmApghV-iHq387uARhfxlQ1DeHG01P9Hr9bamfDrT0QEZ9wsPxe8Dz15167tq_QIBhtQyBn6M6xGxrBxgXxmJ2QbVUMeLBEqYHiH8FEvUx6G-Q8c1gbXld3nDOfk124C9HNLRdf42OAhmkP0XIcY7Ef2GxVg0tfynHmN6TpnyppnybkcOONlHXWZfGUakCLI1S2MMcuR59rmXKsnKraISbzgNuaG7kmdDZ7rANm2BnWs5g33MkNmMlX1GQGHniuRWSX7RjE7xwjM3aXGsstbcSGMXwfBItCdQ7TlzUklN0hOsbsqkTtaoMDizbpwNSra86OWlydk4wZaW4mA-YGrCwH_u2Kw3RENDDdhcrAIJ0G1dtgMXmt_SYBx_XSNarCzcwEWRbEajlE=w810-h518-no

I guess I meant the whole conglomerate of carb/itb and it’s flush attached trumpet both set at a higher angle by the manifold’s angle, thereby clearing the booster...
I remember reading one of Steve’s triple Weber posts about his German eBay VGS manifold find negating the need for a different (smaller) brake booster.

I’m a bit of a size queen, and the longest trumpets make me twitch a little.

The VGS is the only one I've seen that angles up for booster clearance and back to clear the thermostat housing.

don't know if my construction would clear a "booster" as i haven't that anymore ( pedalbox) ... but according dyno and already my feeling i gained 50 NM torque again with it in comparison with just trumpets i lost 50NM from stock ...!!
tjoening 004.JPG
tjoening 005.JPG
airbox 002.JPG

Back