Re-dye leather seats

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
Recently I bought an e34 525i to toy around with; it’s in good condition but the seats show wear (faded/cracking). I’ve decide to repair and re-spray them myself as there are no rips, tears, or holes. Can anyone that has done this recommend a paint system to use (airbrush or paint gun) and company that sells the repaint kits? I’ve read good things about Leatherique on this site but have read about other companies that can color match your job based on the VIN. Thanks.

I would soak it all down with Lexol and let it soak over night. You may decide you like the patina and not to paint it. I don't know if the Lexol will make it difficult for the paint to stick, if you decide to go ahead and re-spray.

I would soak it all down with Lexol and let it soak over night. You may decide you like the patina and not to paint it. I don't know if the Lexol will make it difficult for the paint to stick, if you decide to go ahead and re-spray.

I appreciate the recommendation, but it’s a bit beyond soaking it because the color has worn away in places which is a bit too much patina for me.

I have used a small touch up spray gun and it worked well BUT do it in a very, very well ventilated area. This is a dye, not a paint so the thinners and it are quite toxic
It does come out and looks great after it is all done Doesn't have to be an expensive gun, Harbor Freight stuff works ok

I buy my dyes from a local leather shop. THey have all the stuff that I needed and as well, some expertise in properly dying leather

Thanks, Rick

I used to work with a professional back in the day and he made old seats look new. The euro cars are open grain and the water based dyes are better suited as they can penetrate. I'd get a cheap air gun from harbor freight and follow the instructions.

An upholstery friend mixed up some die to match the headrest on my E39 when I had it and said to clean the seats really really good with alcohol then spray it on with a touch-up gun or use a cloth and do several layers. I decided to use the cloth and it turned out awesome. Didn't show signs of wear for a few years and I just put some more on and it looked good again.

I like Leatherique. The stuff you use to patch cracks and holes can be tricky but the solvents, dyes and oils have always worked for me. Get a kit first and if you need more of something you can order it separately.

Haven't used this product yet, but the custom color match and soluble dye seem interesting.

I've used dyes from about 5 or 6 different vendors on Porsches, BMWs, and MB's. In my experience, ColorPlus (maker of Surflex) is the best. Vicky is the new owner, bought the business from JoAnne about 5 years ago. I like Leatherique and ColorPlus leather softener best.

Gary

I done the Recaros in my Mk1 Golf with a kit from a UK based company called furniture clinic. Leather is wiped down with acetone and isopropyl to get rid of any wax and clean it all up, use leather filler and sand where necessary, a water based flexible leather paint is then used. I found a small airbrush made life much MUCH easier and gave a better result. After a few coats a sealant is used which is available in different finishes to match the desired outcome (gloss, satin or matt).

I have used the seats for about 4 years with 20,000 miles, with no peeling or flaking whatsoever and they still come up lovely.

I'll grab some photos for you, but very inexpensive and provides amazing results.

Thanks for all the replies. I will invest in an airbrush and figure out which company offers the best leather restoration kit. In the meantime, the e34 is pretty fun to drive. I’ve owned or driven a few iterations: e12, F10, and whatever the newest version is, and this one has the best combo of sportiness and comfort which is what the 5 series is all about.

I second Gary's recommendations. And by way of emphasis, you need to clean and condition first, even if you are doing a color change.

Here is a picture of my front seats, part way through the process of changing the color using Colorplus dye:

20170504_081940.jpg

Done seats in 2 cars, you can use an airbrush but I put the dye (paint really) in a small manual spray bottle and also used a foam brush from HD or Lowes. Spray, spread with the brush. Have to do multiple coats and eventually the streaks go away and you have a nice outcome. Buy a kit that has the cleaner/prep/patch/dye all in one. I have used LeatherWorld Technologies with no issues and durability.

Back