re-foaming horse hair seats, is it possible ?

jcmodern

Reaction score
Wondering if anybody has re-foamed stock seats without total re-upholstery. My seats are in good overall condition, nice patina etc. They're losing their horse hair, but I don't really want to throw down the $3000 + for re-upholstering.

michael

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes it is possible as I had it done a few years ago.

The work was performed by Fairfield Upholstery in Fairfield, CT.

I'm sure you can find someone closer to you who can do the work.

jcmodern

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, glad to hear I can rejuvinate my current interior, the leather is still solid. I bought my headliner from world upholstery, glad I took a second look at what they offer. I didn't realize they carried rubber seals and weatherstrip, hoping they are more resonable than the oem. Thanks again.

jcmodern

Reaction score
they seem to differentiate between all the replacement seals they sell and the door seals ( " German oem.. ouch! ") I've been told that the high price of replacement rubber is due to the limited shelf life of the product and therefore sporadic production. I"ll give them a call tomorrow and find out.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Limited shelf life--sounds bogus to me

Have no idea who passed that statement off to you--sounds like a realdodge to this long time CS owner--now 35 years continuous ownership.

My first set of major seals lasted over 20 years on the BLUMAX and were fairly good when replaced--replacements are as new 16 years later so if that constitutes short shelf life maybe I'll have to have a friendly conversation with your source.

Wonder if your source has as much first hand ownership experience with seals of every type on and in a Coupe?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
jcmodern said:
I've been told that the high price of replacement rubber is due to the limited shelf life of the product and therefore sporadic production.

Doesn't need a short shelf life for high cost (sporadic production), I'd chaulk it up to low demand.

Dan