Rear end fluid capacity question

E9Paradise

Reaction score
I have recently acquired a '74 E9 and I have been slowly getting it road ready. I drained the engine, the transmission and the rear end. The manual says the capacity on the rear end is 1.5 liters so I pumped in 1 liter and then did the second liter thinking the fluid would start flowing from the filler hole when it reached 1.5 or so liters. I pumped in at least 1.75 liters and it wasn't coming out of the filler hole. I stopped there and plugged it. I'm pretty sure this is not a limited slip.

Does anyone know if the 1.75 liters I put in there will be too much or should I have kept going until it started draining from the filler hole?

Thanks! John

John,
Assuming you had the car jacked up, or on a ramp, and level then you just keep filling until it dribbles out of the filler hole.
The amount doesn't vary between a normal diff and an LSD but the TYPE of fluid does. DO NOT use any EP gear oils in an LSD as you will ruin the clutches in it in no time at all. You can get proper LSD oil from a good parts store or failing that the dealers
All quantaties are approx anyway so you should not of done any damage by apparently over filling. THis is of course assuming it is an E9 diff thats fitted!
Malc

Malc said:
John,
Assuming you had the car jacked up, or on a ramp, and level then you just keep filling until it dribbles out of the filler hole.
The amount doesn't vary between a normal diff and an LSD but the TYPE of fluid does. DO NOT use any EP gear oils in an LSD as you will ruin the clutches in it in no time at all. You can get proper LSD oil from a good parts store or failing that the dealers
All quantaties are approx anyway so you should not of done any damage by apparently over filling. THis is of course assuming it is an E9 diff thats fitted!
Malc

Thanks Malc! I do have it up on jackstands and relatively level. I will go ahead and fill 'til I see it dripping. When I rotate one wheel the other rotates the opposite direction, I think that means it's not an LSD.

Cheers! John

John,
From your test it does look like you have a normal diff. Another check is to one rear wheel on the ground, the gearbox in neutral . THe remaining wheel off the ground with

LSD - difficult to turn
Normal - "easy" to turn

Malc

Back