Rear hub removal

Chris Neal

Site Donor
Reaction score
We are trying to remove the rear hubs, however after purchasing a BMW removal tool, it is not made for a E9. I thought I saw instructions on the removal but can not find anything. Hopefully someone will know on this board. Thank you in advance

No special tools needed, remove driveshaft, remove locking ring and undo the large jesus nut. They are on tight and easiest to use a 1/2 inch impact. Once removed seperate the inner half of the hub that the driveshaft bolts onto and hub will come out from the front. Be careful of shims and spacer piece inside as they will need to go back in the same

I went and tried to use a sliding hub w/ 5lbs hammer. I can't believe that the rear hubs are held in with just force and no pin or nut.

Attachments

• IMG_9923.jpg
    IMG_9923.jpg
    691.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_9925.jpg
    IMG_9925.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 50
The hub on this 1974 does not have a nut, I'm curious if the photo attached if there is a cover (circled in red). Do I need to remove as it looks like it is all one piece. I'm going to take a look at the front today. I have just about every service manual available, but I cannot locate the "Jesus nut". Thank you can again

Attachments

• hub.JPG
    hub.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 28
Simple question - did you actually look at the huge picture with the red circle I posted for you or is this an ongoing forum joke that I don’t know about?

Go back to the diagram YOU posted and look for item #2

what do you see?

Last edited:
Good morning- I'm sorry to ask, but are you free for a quick call. I can show you via Facetime. Happy to pay a couple of hundred for your time. The issue there is no viable nut or seam between the cap and #12. It is similar on the other side as well. I'm used to working on Porsche cars where there is much more info. Feel free to call if you have some time today, 480.297.5577. Chris

Back