Rear Panel Removal-73 3.0cs

BabaKahawa

Reaction score
I need to remove the Drivers Side Rear panel in order to get at the non-working window motor. I do not want to damage it, and don't know where to start. Do I need any special tools? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Really easy.

1. Remove rear seat by pulling.
2. Pop the panel's plastic clips
3. Slide the panel down, then out.

jmackro

Reaction score
x_atlas0:

You skipped step 1.5 which is remove the armrest on that side - as I recall it attaches with two philips screws easily visible with the seat out.

Note that the rear window motor is part of an assembly that includes the rear window and its track. That attaches to the body with eight or so 6mm hex head bolts. The window needs to be all the way down to wiggle the assembly free from the body. Of course, disconnect the wires first.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
x_atlas0:

You skipped step 1.5 which is remove the armrest on that side - as I recall it attaches with two philips screws easily visible with the seat out.

Note that the rear window motor is part of an assembly that includes the rear window and its track. That attaches to the body with eight or so 6mm hex head bolts. The window needs to be all the way down to wiggle the assembly free from the body. Of course, disconnect the wires first.

Gah! Completely correct, my apologies. I haven't done it in a few years.

Oh, and be careful when pulling the assembly out, the window wliggles a lot and can get caught on underhangs easily. The windows are also pretty brittle, so take your time and don't chip it. While the assembly is out, it is an excellent time to change the window holder rubber, as well as clean out the track.

As far as the clips go, they are the same as used in newer BMWs, I'm not sure about American cars, but they are really cheap, so no worries if some snap.