Rear Ride Height Question

afeustel

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My E3 has Bilstein HD coil-overs on the rear with B&G springs. Is it possible to adjust the ride height (lower) with these shocks and springs or do I need to find a shorter spring?

Have not had a chance to get in there and pull it apart so I thought I would ask before taking a look.

Thanks

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bill hds have 3 grooves in them with a snap ring the perch rides on. If it is in the top or middle position you have adjustment room. If in the lowest setting you are sol. Bilstein, IIRC will put extra grooves in a shock for around $10 per. They do this at their facility in Poway, CA

afeustel

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks Bert. After careful inspection, and some web surfing, I realized the same and was able to drop them to the lowest setting. Did not have to remove the shocks to do this which was nice. The only issue following the adjustment is that I have to be sure to "set" the top of the shock/spring in the carrier as I slowly lower the car, otherwise the alignment at the top of the spring is off and it rides on the large centering cup.

Dropping the spring base helped a bit, but I may eventually want to lower the rear just a bit more.