Rear Speakers

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Back in highschool and college I though nothing of running wires to the rear parcel shelf and dropping in a set of speakers. That was a long time ago.

My coupe has 6" round speakers on the rear parcel shelf trying to fill 6" x 9" holes. The speaker are 10 years old and need upgrade anyway. Can is be as simple s it seems?

The only question I have is mounting. Do the speakers sit on the parcel shelf or are they better off hanging below?

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
(1) woofers: you don't need a very big hole. 6x9's etc will play fine through a much smaller hole (5" round would be enough), so don't hog out a huge hole if you don't have to.
(2) I would always put something with midrange and treble in the back because that'll get you a real sense of envelopment and spaciousness. There are a number of small surface mount solutions that would require just a small hole or two for mounting. If you don't let your car bake in the summer sun day after day, there are double sided tapes that would be good enough for mounting and would be fully reversible later. The budget solution is to get a 6x9 with integrated tweeter/midrange. The mid/high speakers on those integrated units are usually a little mediocre, but should be good enough unless you're rocking out on Van Halen or Wager operas.

Mounting: top/bottom doesn't matter as long as the seal to the package tray is decent to prevent acoustic "short circuits" where the front and back of the speaker cone are connected via an air path. Personally, I'd try to keep the holes as small as possible (too late for you, right). and bottom mount everything.

Stan, let me see if I have a new set of aftermarket 6x9's lying around. If I find some they're yours. I hope you have some sort of amplifier and an equalizer. The next time we see each other I can show you some data on the acoustics of car interiors. It's pretty bad, and a bit of EQ goes a long long way to making it better. You don't need any of that big showy stuff. Just a little 4x50w amp and a small 8-10 band 4-channel EQ. All of that can be discretely tucked away under the rear seat or under the rear package tray.

Last edited:

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I will get a photo today.

Currently the rear parcel shelf has two 6x9" holes cut in by PO.
When I bought the car 10+ years ago, the speakers were shot so they were replaced. The person replacing them used 6" round speakers, mounted from the bottom and not held on very well. The remainder of the hole was closed using Dynamat.

I do not have front speaker. No speaker covers either as my rear parcel shelf is constructed of a frame and speaker cloth.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stan, let me see if I have a new set of aftermarket 6x9's lying around. If I find some they're yours. I hope you have some sort of amplifier and an equalizer. The next time we see each other I can show you some data on the acoustics of car interiors. It's pretty bad, and a bit of EQ goes a long long way to making it better. You don't need any of that big showy stuff. Just a little 4x50w amp and a small 8-10 band 4-channel EQ. All of that can be discretely tucked away under the rear seat or under the rear package tray.

I like the budget solution! :)

Are you good at installation? Come on up to NH :D

jmackro

Reaction score
The only question I have is mounting. Do the speakers sit on the parcel shelf or are they better off hanging below?

That depends on where the oval holes were cut, and the depth of your new speakers. You can get interference with the tops of the shock absorbers when attempting to mount deep speakers below the metal shelf (ask me how I know).

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Although my coupe appears stock, it is far from stock in many ways you can't see. But I am a purist when it comes to speakers and other changes, additions. I cringe when I see three gauges where the original wood grill of the speaker once resided. None in the door panels, rear shelf, even the panel below the back buckets. The sounds of the engine and the exhaust system are siren calls for me. So much so that my original Blaupunkt is not hooked up.

Steve

Stefan

Reaction score
Since your rear parcel shelf is kind of ruined... I would go for 6x9' quality speaker.
In the small area like E9 interiors you could achieve really sound only from the rear 6x9'

If you +40 you need to boost the treble in the front speaker. See nice solutions of how to do installation in the front speaker area. Search on this forum.
Best luck!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Because I only occasionaly use my radio, I'd just replace those speakers with some nice 6x9 ones and maybe drop an amp in somewhere if I could hide it - maybe under the back seat. This would allow you to have music should you need it without spending big bux with speakers and amps out the wazoo and minimal wiring. Keep the fabric shelf cover.

But I tend to lean towards oneils - prefer engine music. Occasional radio when detailing in the driveway or sometimes in the mood for the oldie station.