Rear window motor upgrade

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
All,

There is/was a member on the board who owned a really nice, fully restored nachtblau coupe and had a fantastic write up on the upgrade of the front and rear window motors complete with photos and captions. If i remember correctly, he had the info posted on a website he created, dedicated to the car (not Paul C). Sound familiar? Asking because since i have the car in pieces i figured i'd go ahead and swap in the new motors (rears only).

Thanks in advance!

Richard

x_atlas0

Reaction score
You need to use the E28 rear window motors. They fit in the stock rear regulator location with a minor modification. You have to dremel off a tab to make the motor transmission fit Very easy.

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses! srennoc, thats exactly what i was looking for. The admins should make this a sticky. Great info!

Richard

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Kurt replaced the sardine style motors which requires a slight mod. In mid `73 they went with a larger motor (and late style switches with pins) which is a straight swap with the e28 rear motors, just need to be careful because one of the three mounting bolts needs to be shorter than the other two. I did this two years ago but have no pics.

oldcoupe

Reaction score
Rear window update

I bought E28 window motors with a view to doing both back and front on my '72 E9.

The fronts were relatively easy to do, but I decided the rears would be too difficult, so I cleaned and oiled the sardine can motors and the mechanism and reinstalled them.

Results:
-the rear windows, with the overhauled sardine cans, have become acceptably fast.
-the fronts, with E28 motors, remain slow.

Wasn't there a thread about a year ago comparing window opening times?

pmallinson

Reaction score
Any Updates on this ??

Does anyone have any updates as to possibly other window motors which will fit (with a bit of fiddling) as the E28 ones are fast becoming as rare as the E9 ones !!

Any advice anyone or has anyone done an upgrade using different parts ?

Last edited: