Rear window Squeegee leak

Laldog

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've got some major "ponding" issues emanating from the side rear window.
It appears that the 48 year old rubber window squeegee has become ineffective as water is cascading past it and collecting on the rear floor.

My (stupid) question is this:
Are the rubber squeegees (or seals) at the base of the rear window supposed to keep the rain (and melting snow) out and prevent this water intrusion, and what is the function of the weep holes at the bottom of the rocker panels?

Is the water collecting in the rear footwell of my car the result of 1. a bogus rubber seal or 2. clogged weep holes?
(I guess that makes 2 stupid questions)

Any experiences or solutions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

You need plastic vapor barriers behind the quarter panel cards to keep water in the window cavity and then out the weep holes in rockers. Clean them out to improve drainage. The rubber seals can only do so much and as they age they shrink.

Water always goes inside a door or quarter panel. The seals are never 100% tight, even on modern cars. That is why there are drain holes and a need for the foil, as HBChris mentioned.

I am however doubting if the water is surely coming from your side window.
Isn't the lowest point of the window system (a bracket) mounted on the side of the sill that drains to the drain holes?
Water would need to flow up and over the inner sill I think to get in your floor sections.

Might be coming from the window, but other sources of water on the rear floor could be:
-Rusted out rear wheel well, the corner of the thick metal pin holding the subframe (it did get wet there in my car, even into the other corner of the wheel well: the trunk)
- missing rubber plug under the rear seat

Thank you both.

All very good points.

Maybe the temperature will rise above 20 degrees and we'll have less than a foot of snow on the ground so I can start working on this.

My recollection from working in the quarter window area is that there is a drain tube that runs from the c-pillar roundel to drain in the rocker area. That hose should probably be replaced, and I seem to recall that some (possibly @Stevehose) created a drain through the wheel well To prevent build-up of water in the quarter window area. Regardless, clearing the weep holes is time well spent.

@Boonies , you are correct that there is a rubber tube running down there, but it is long enough to reach the bottom of the sill, and then the outerside of the sill = just on the inner side of the quarter panel .

Unless:
- the sill is rusted through . With fairly intact sill, the water should stay on the outer side of the sill.
- the tube is disconnected,
- the tube is porous or torn.

Back