Reasonably Happy Verona (eBay, NMNA)

cicada

Site Donor $
Reaction score

Modified with a 3.5, 4-speed auto from an e24, various alpina parts. Automatic badge appears to be in the wrong place. No photos of typical problem spots.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looks like a 2-stage paint job and kind of darker than Verona.

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I enjoy scrolling pictures when there are so many other cars in the shots. Often reassuring that most designs don't stand up to the ol E9.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Paint code is 023 which is Granada but it does look like Verona which was a 3.0CS color. Wonder what auto trans it has, that isn’t the ZF that came with it originally.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Probably the ZF 4HP22, the lever handle is that of the 4HP22 and it was nicely adapted to the E9 console.
Quite a few nice adaptations, seems like the owner knew what he/she wanted even if unorthodox.

cicada

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I am wrong, worse, I do not know how to read. Nowhere does it say 4-speed. It is a 3-speed, a 3HP22, though I do think it is intriguing to put a 4HP22 in one of these.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Paint code is 023 which is Granada but it does look like Verona which was a 3.0CS color. Wonder what auto trans it has, that isn’t the ZF that came with it originally.

It could be the lighting but that doesn’t look much like @granada to me, as seen in my avatar. I’m sure @zinz would agree. It’s got to be a one off color because it doesn’t look like Granada or Verona. The amount of orange almost resembles Granatrot.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am wrong, worse, I do not know how to read. Nowhere does it say 4-speed. It is a 3-speed, a 3HP22, though I do think it is intriguing to put a 4HP22 in one of these.
It says the tranny is from a 633CSi which came to the US with a 3-speed automatic at some point.
It is a weird build to have that car with a 3-speed. Maybe the engine has so much torque that it ok to spend all day in 3rd gear.

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
4HP22 non-electronic (if that's what this is) is a rare transmission. I think they only came in 1985 318i's, right?
With the M10 bellhousing, yes. '84 was a 3-speed. I just sold a rebuilt 4hp22 from an '85 that's going to put it in his 2002. 4hp22s were available in M10, M20 and M30-powered cars. Different bellhousings and valve-bodies, etc. M106 745is were the first to get the 4hp22-eh. US M30 cars got it for '86 model year.
It says the tranny is from a 633CSi which came to the US with a 3-speed automatic at some point.
It is a weird build to have that car with a 3-speed. Maybe the engine has so much torque that it ok to spend all day in 3rd gear.
Changeover from 3hp22 to 4hp22 for *33s was 9/83. Entirely possible this car has a 4-speed. With a shorter diff, this car could actually be interesting to drive.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Changeover from 3hp22 to 4hp22 for *33s was 9/83. Entirely possible this car has a 4-speed. With a shorter diff, this car could actually be interesting to drive.
Agree, my E24 has a 4HP22E with a shorter differential (by 10% at least) and I enjoy that combo.