recommendation - source? - thin vinyl that covers the seat support areas - dark blue

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Another carpet question
Looking for recommendation for a source for the thin vinyl that covers the seat support areas
It is also used on a few carpet pieces such as the piece the transverse part under the rear seat
Car is a 72' with blue grey carpet
This vinyl is a dark blue
I am looking for a very close match to the original

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Still available from BMW
Looking at the parts diagrams, I am not sure that is it, the diagrams show the seats, the stuff on the supports is much thinner, but maybe the other would work
I think the issue with being thicker would be making all the tight folds required

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think this is the only smooth vinyl used.
For example on the door cards.
I think it is quite a bit different, I think I have a roll of the thicker, this stuff is super thin almost like paper
This is only used on the seat supports, meaning the where you screw the seat adjustment rails on, and on a couple of the carpet pieces

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
You mean that thin gray vinyl that covers the place the rails go? NLA, Compromise and go to a fabric store and try to match it.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
You mean that thin gray vinyl that covers the place the rails go? NLA, Compromise and go to a fabric store and try to match it.
Right, the thin stuff where the rails go, I figured it was NLA so was trying to see if there was a known substitute
It is actually blue, a dark grayish blue, but the very similar stuff they edge the carpet with is gray

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I DID MINE WITH A BLUE VINYL I BOUGHT
IPOST PIC
YOU CAN SEE A BIT OF IT HERE
ITHINK I GOT IT ON AMAZON REGULAR DARK BLUE VINYL

Attachments

• IMG_9485.JPG
    IMG_9485.JPG
    395.8 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Mark.
I have blue vinyl that matches the door panels. Let me know how much you need and I will ship it out tomorrow.
Thanks
Harry

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Mark.
I have blue vinyl that matches the door panels. Let me know how much you need and I will ship it out tomorrow.
Thanks
Harry
Hi Harry,
Thanks, I appreciate your offer, I think I might have the same material you are talking about, but the issue is, the stuff over the seat rails is super thin
It is thin so that you can make all the tight folds and creases
So is the material you have thick like seat or door panel or thin like thick paper?
Thanks, Mark

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mark, I don’t think you are going to find the original thin vinyl, others have used current materials and made it work just fine. Use a good contact cement and let it set 10 minutes before fixing to the car.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mark, I don’t think you are going to find the original thin vinyl, others have used current materials and made it work just fine. Use a good contact cement and let it set 10 minutes before fixing to the car.
Thanks Chris,
that sounds like what I will need to do
I did find some fairly thin vinyl at an upholstery shop to use in binding the carpet, it is thinner than seat vinyl but not near as thin as the seat rail stuff
And strangely, the carpet binding is grey and the rail cover is blue

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think it is to match seats and doors
Right, the blue matches the doors and seats, and it is used on a few flaps on a couple carpet pieces, so I just thought it odd that the material they used to edge the carpet was grey not the same blue, but that carpet is as much grey as blue I suppose

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
The Material I have is the same as the door panels.
Hi Harry, I might take you up on this, is it smooth? how thick is it compared to what is on a seat? I will have a look at my panels next time I am out at the shop, a day or 2, thanks