refinishing aluminum trim

petert

Reaction score
All exterior aluminum trim has been removed, deanodized and all nicks, scrapes and dings removed. It has all been buffed to originial appearance. Ready to reinstall but want to know what kind of protective finish do I apply to the trim before I put it on. Thanks.

Honolulu

Reaction score
use the search function

One option is that you can leave it bare, and clean it every week or two (depending on how corrosive your area is).

Most coatings tend to yellow with exposure to sun.

Can you re-anodize? How were the dings removed if not by polishing the aluminum down below the depth of the ding?

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Alum trim....

Check the archives, as I know it's been addressed; but when push came to shove, I decided to go with the most easily reversible way; Carnuba wax. I didn't like the idea of a bad re-anodizing job (I'm in NC! Who could do it at all?), a poly-something top-coat that may yellow, and pit with any piece of grit, rocks, etc; it's plastic, right? With wax, I can always buff back out with Mother's Aluminum Polish and re-wax. In hindsight, I wish that I had poly'd the back-side, however. Just my 02 cent's worth. Dave V. in western NC

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I had my beltline trim stripped, polished and the powder coated clear. That was about 5 years ago, and it still looks good.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
belt trim

I had mine stripped, polished and clear ceramic coated at Speedway in Santa Ana CA. Cost was only about $350.