Refitting the sunroof

pmansson

Reaction score
3 months after dismantling it, it is now time to reassemble all the parts. I did mark the alu parts, esp the long ones on each side. Time and polishing at a proper shop has caused the marks to disappear.

It is an electric sunroof with the engine at the rear. The old cables are still in place.
I have done the felt seals and am now to tackle the rest.
I have read the various useful threads, with pictures, regarding the fitment on a 2002.
While most may be similar, I wonder if anyone has pictures available for the mounting of the alu parts on the E9? (I can imagine the cables running differently in the 2002 with manual winding at the front. Hence my question).

Rear drive Sunroof

Here I thought I had the only rear drive sunroof! What would you like photos of? Assuming mine is not an after market addition I should be able to help.

Which way do the long alu parts go? (the ones on the side)
The groove on the inside to allow the inner panel to slide along via its brackets. Got that,
but can they only go one way to make this happen. I know they are different, and that it wasn´t obvious which one goes where. I marked them but the marking disappeared when all alu parts were at the polish shop.

Please don´t remove anything to take pictures. Have you dismanteled the sunroof for servicing?

Then there were black, tape like strips, about 12" long, that I think were glued to the bottom of these long, lateral alu parts. They came off before polishing. I have them in a plastic bag. To avoid metal to metal contact or what purpose do they serve...?

Easiest thing to do is some photographs with the sunroof open. No I've never serviced the mechanism other than lube the cables from time to time. I'll try to post some tomorrow or Saturday.

Sunroof Tracks

Sorry about the delay - hope these help. If larger or different angles help let me know. Any recommendations on lubricant?

P1020306.jpg

P1020304.jpg

P1020301.jpg

P1020299.jpg

P1020296.jpg

P1020291.jpg

P1020290.jpg

P1020289.jpg

P1020288.jpg

P1020286.jpg

Decoupe,

Your coupe has an aftermarket sunroof setup, much bigger than stock and the roof mechanisms are totally different. Saw this firsthand years ago while your car was still residing down here in the SF Bayarea.

Guess I'm not much help.

I think TJ may have mentioned that - from a 528i??. It works well enough but I need to work on the seal. Right now it is just a continuous felt edge and is a tad noisy and not a bit weather tight. Ultimately I'd like to get rid of it as a sunroof isn't one of my favourite things and not really necessary around here (light snow and rain for the last three days).

P1010811.jpg

Thanks for the info Bert.

Doug

Last edited:
Back