Reflections of dash fascia chrome band in the windshield

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The thin chrome trim that clamps onto the aluminum trim piece that is inserted in the dashboard fascia looks really cool. A nice, discreet touch.

IMG_0022.jpg

But I find that when driving, it reflects in the windshield and gets pretty annoying. Especially if you are driving in a tree lined area where the sun hits that chrome on and off rapidly. It looks like there is a scratch on the windshield. I double checked and mine is pushed as far into the fascia as it can be.

Now, admittedly, I am pretty OCD when it comes to a clear field of vision when I'm driving (nothing drives me crazier than when someone puts white papers on the dashboard...). Anyone else notice that?

IMG_0294.jpg reflection on windshield.jpg

Last edited:
Just in case you would consider it: the chrome bit is just pushed on. It can be removed, it's not too much work. after removal, you could choose to leave it off, or dull it with sandpaper.
(To be honest, I'm not sure if it is chromed steel or bright anodized aluminium)

First gently pry off the alu strip from the dashboard: it has pins welded to the backside that are just pushed in the dashboard frame.

once you have the strip on your workbench, then the chrome edge can be pried off. Use a wooden block to gently tap it off, taking care to only push on the chrome strip where it still grabs on the alu strip. Tap it gently over the entire length untill it pops off.

Here's some pics of mine when I prepared them for re-anodisation. First pic shows the chrome strips seperated, the short one covered in tape to protect it.

Attachments

• 20210401_220126.jpg
    20210401_220126.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 20210401_235256.jpg
    20210401_235256.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Just in case you would consider it: the chrome bit is just pushed on. It can be removed, it's not too much work. after removal, you could choose to leave it off, or dull it with sandpaper.
(To be honest, I'm not sure if it is chromed steel or bright anodized aluminium)

First gently pry off the alu strip from the dashboard: it has pins welded to the backside that are just pushed in the dashboard frame.

once you have the strip on your workbench, then the chrome edge can be pried off. Use a wooden block to gently tap it off, taking care to only push on the chrome strip where it still grabs on the alu strip. Tap it gently over the entire length untill it pops off.

Here's some pics of mine when I prepared them for re-anodisation. First pic shows the chrome strips seperated, the short one covered in tape to protect it.
Thanks Erik. Yes, I already have it off. I was just wondering if I could do something to it before I put it back on. Maybe dulling just the top part with steel wool might help. But that would be easier done when it is pushed back on the aluminum strip. Because that thin piece would be really easy to bend.

50CE9E13-5260-4AB8-BBBF-F0D50E47D06C.jpeg

Last edited:
Back