Refrigerant year change from R12 to R134a

RIQUE

Reaction score
Hello All, my cars AC stickers all indicate it was filled with R12 Freon refrigerant. However, there is a window sticker from the New York State DMV that states that car has passed technical inspection in 2004. Is it correct to assume that in order to pass the 2004 inspection the refrigerant was changed to R134a? Thanks, Rique

I don't believe the tech inspection would cover type of refridgerent. The best thing to do is take to any decent shop and have them test your system. R12 and R134 are completely different (incompatible) and use different fittings to connect to the recharge systems.

I highly recommend that you have the system checked because you never know what might have been done in the past.

John

R12

I'm not familiar with NY's inspections, but I seriously doubt that they care what type of freon is in your system. After 1992 all new vehicles sold in the U.S. had to use R134 refrigerent, but there are millions still using R12. R12 is still available through a certified technician and is still used to refill original R12 systems.

I wouldn't worry about it, but you can look at the fitting on your A/C system and determine what is being used, if your curious. R134 fittings look like the quick-release style used on air tools (with a valve in the center). R12 looks like a large bicycle tire valve with threads on the outside.

Dan

Back