Relay Question

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here's another trivia question. There are three identical relays in a row sitting above the hood release lever. What does the middle one control?

I ask because it clicks when I press the interior light switch in the door jamb and the light does not come on. The light does work when using the switch in the light but comes on in both positions when the door is closed. I assume I have a crossed wire somewhere. Thanks.

The dome light is powered off fuse #4. It's switch will complete ground. The two door switches also complete ground for the dome light when in "door operation" mode. The driver side door switch also completes ground for an ignition warning buzzer (certain key positions with door open should buzz), also powered from fuse #4.

As for the function of the relay I haven't a clue. Do you know the wire color / striping? Does everything work?

Everything else works, I have no ignition buzzer, long gone. I think the door switch is grounding another circuit. Thanks.

IIRC, one relay is high beams, one is horn and one is fog lamps. Not sure which is which, but a little wire color tracing should answer it pretty quick.

Those are near the battery, right? I am betting the middle one inside is the wipers, that is the only item that acts strange at times, but I will have to trace the wires as suggested. I just hate twisting my neck to look up under there!

If my rather fuzzy memory is correct one of the relays near the battery is to control the front optional fog or spot lights. In the UK Spot lights should only come on when headlight high beam is on and thus the relay is "activated" when high beam is selected.
The same basic setup is in my 2002Tii and that's what happens in mine :) even though I do not have front spot lights
THe wiper relay (delay) is up by the indicator relay etc on the LHS A-pillar tucked up under the dash. Well on RHD cars it is.

However after too many years the wiring gets er.... modified.... by PO's so do be careful!
Malc

Back