Removal of Trunk Core Cylinder

edb

Reaction score
Hello All. I'm getting the car prepped for the painter and I can't see how to remove the trunk core that holds the lock cylinder. Attached are 2 photos for reference. First is an outside shot of core with the lock cylinder removed. Second is what it looks like from inside the trunk. I'm wondering if there's a special tool needed.

Attachments

• trunk1.jpg
    trunk1.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 40
  • trunk2.jpg
    trunk2.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 42

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I believe it is just screwed into the pot metal angled portion on the inside of the trunk. Try to unscrew it from the outside, use a rubber glove.

Christoph

Reaction score
Cannot remember how I did it so there probably weren't any difficulties. A "threaded ring" usually holds everything from the inside. Is it possible age, corrosion or similar hold the core in place? The WD-40 can in the first picture might help, maybe in combination with a hot air fan.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello All. I'm getting the car prepped for the painter and I can't see how to remove the trunk core that holds the lock cylinder. Attached are 2 photos for reference. First is an outside shot of core with the lock cylinder removed. Second is what it looks like from inside the trunk. I'm wondering if there's a special tool needed.

yes, there is a "circular ring nut"
look carefully, it must be in there
a thread always means a nut, but this one is a bit unconventional
BTW, be careful, it is aluminium, (the nut i mean)

Keshav

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Last edited:

Christoph

Reaction score
It was obscured by Zebart.
The dark grey substance that did not belong there anyway? So it was neither age nor corrosion but corrosion protective. Is it possible someone tried to stop water getting past the lock into the boot? The seal @Keshav mentions is really necessary. Last season we had that on a friend's E3. The seal was missing, the car at the shop, heavy rain during the night. Cannot remember why I opened the bootlid but ended up wiping some water from the boot floor and blowing lots of it out the inside of the bootlid.

Keshav

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Inconspicuous but necessary.
The eBay one looks better in quality ……