Removal Question. Surround around the shifter

Lawrence Platt

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is a humbling moment for me. I cannot figure out how to remove the surround for the shifter. I am usually so adept at taking things apart. It's the putting back together that I start asking questions.

This is a humbling moment for me. I cannot figure out how to remove the surround for the shifter. I am usually so adept at taking things apart. It's the putting back together that I start asking questions.

see it there,

4DDC9264-6F4D-46C5-A599-0FFE0B0E96C7.png
8D7E6157-F768-46DF-83E8-133EF51090CB.png
F147EF2D-0391-4832-819B-F575E0551F5E.png
A01E14BB-4458-461B-853F-683189B30D85.png

In my car, as in DeQs pictures, the shift console is screwed with two small screws to a block that is attached to the console sides. You need to push out the rear window switches to access these. You can clearly see one of the screws in DeQ's picture near the block with an "A".

It helps to have a magnetized (small phillips) screwdriver to hold the screw both on removal and install. They easily can fall and disappear on you into various cracks and crevices.

Home Depot sells a magnet for magnetizing a tool. One side of it magnetizes it the other will cancel it. For $4 it's a great "goody" to have.

Yep, unzip the boot, pop the window switches out (the wires are thick, so it's a bear to get clearance) then unscrew the shifter console from the sides. You are looking for one screw on each side that attaches the console via a pair of small metal brackets to wood blocks attached to the console sides. You can see the wood block and the shifter console bracket I'm talking about in deQuincey's middle picture, that piece of wood with a red 'A' on it.

Sometimes
additionally to the mentioned screws, marked yellow

I found also two screws that fix the structure to the console
they are marked with green arrows

EB6E5CCF-3CD3-4014-8EA5-B1F90D1306C1.jpeg

better remove all

I've see gaiters (e.g., shift boot or around the handbrake) secured with a metal wire in them that closely matches the opening they are intended for and so they can be popped in/out, OR the shifter boot stapled to the horizontal section of the visible platform.

To magnetize a screwdriver (at no cost, I love it), wrap a dozen or or turns of of wire around the shaft and momentarily short the two ends of the wire to your battery. NOTE, IT WILL THROW SPARKS, but then take off the wire and voila, magnetized screwdriver. Alternately, stroke salvaged speaker magnet along the screwdriver. Report which is more effective, please.

I've see gaiters (e.g., shift boot or around the handbrake) secured with a metal wire in them that closely matches the opening they are intended for and so they can be popped in/out, OR the shifter boot stapled to the horizontal section of the visible platform.

To magnetize a screwdriver (at no cost, I love it), wrap a dozen or or turns of of wire around the shaft and momentarily short the two ends of the wire to your battery. NOTE, IT WILL THROW SPARKS, but then take off the wire and voila, magnetized screwdriver. Alternately, stroke salvaged speaker magnet along the screwdriver. Report which is more effective, please.

In my case the "wire" is a thin metal plate
It is fixed to the wood with nails

Back