Remove rear wheel bearing?

eltonjohan

Reaction score
Hello,
I have just removed the rear trailing arms since I planning to re-paint them. But I find it impossible to remove the rear wheel bearings. I managed to pull of the inner part (that connects to the drive shaft) and placed a large extractor to pull/push the side shaft (that holds the wheel). But it seems to be totally stuck!
Any pieces of advice how to get it of??

regards
Johan

pic of rear wheel bearing:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=3431&mospid=47806&btnr=33_0921&hg=33&fg=40

DJSimca

Reaction score
I did this job last year ... it's hard work :shock:

In order to get the outside part out (where the wheel is mounted) I used a big hammer to knock on the axle from the inside ... use a piece of wood and don't strike the axle direct with the hammer :!:

On one side it was so stuck that the actual bearings came out with the axle :!: :!:

eltonjohan

Reaction score
Oh shit, sounds like I must use some heavy violence tonight then...
Any risk that the actual bearing will get damaged when doing this?

Is it possible to remove the brake protection plate without removing the outside part?

BonitaCS

Reaction score
No, you have remove the shaft it to take the plate off. It is hard work with a lot of pounding, if you have access to a press it will make the job easier. The bearings are cheep , I think I paid $25.00/side, so I would go ahead and replace them. I used a press to put it all back together.

Scott

DJSimca

Reaction score
eltonjohan said:
Any risk that the actual bearing will get damaged when doing this?

I wouldn't take all this apart without replacing the wheel bearings. They are not expensive.

Henrik

Reaction score
I used a brass hammer on the side shaft with good result when I did the same job a couple of weeks ago.

Put the side shaft in the freezer before you start mounting, it will probably shrink enough to let the bearings enter easy.

eltonjohan

Reaction score
Henrik, to put it in the fridge is actually a really good idea!
Where have you bought your bearings - at BMW or elsewhere?

Henrik

Reaction score
The method is often used by mechanics. I haven't installed my new bearings yet, they are beeing shipped from Mesa Performance right now, together with a lot of other parts. They are very common, so I guess SKF or another manufacturer can supply you with the exact size.
I am not so sure about the seal, but SKF has a wide range of them too.