Removing CSL side stripes

CarlP

Reaction score
The black side stripes on my CSL have some nicks in them, and I want to remove them..........is there a way to do this without harming the paint?

How likely is it that there will be "ghost" stripes in the paint once they are removed? They have been on the car for 10 years, but the car has not seem many miles or much sun in that period....always garaged. Color is Baikal blue.

Thanks!

Most come off easily of you use a hair drier to soften up the adhesive. As far as the paint fading you won't know until you remove them.

I tried a hair dryer to remove the alpina stripes on my BMW. It took seemingly forever just to remove few inches. So forget that! To remove vinyl stripes without damaging the paint, go to a auto supply/paint shop and buy a "Eraser Wheel" About $10. Mount it on a 1800rpm drill. I t will rub off the stripes. Also smeels like an eraser. It make take two wheels to do the complete job. This was so much easier and faster and also took off the adhesive. After completion you make want to go over it with adhesive remover.

You can use automotive paint thinners/gun wash to remove them along with the glue, however be careful as the paint may react
Malc

Thanks for the advice.

Sidestripes came off pretty easily with application of a bit of heat from a hairdryer. Actually, a little bit of heat seemed to work better than a lot.....too much heat left more adhesive on the paint. In any case, residual adhesive came off using adhesive remover without harming the paint.

Best of all......no ghost stripes!

Thanks again,
Carl

Back