Removing exhaust manifolds for head and gasket replacement

mtiger_dds

Site Donor
Reaction score
How in the world do you access the lower studs on the exhaust manifolds?

Is it easier to leave the manifolds on and remove part of the exhaust with the head? Access to the nuts and studs connecting the exhaust to the manifolds seems pretty tight with steering and suspension components partially blocking the view.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Use the 12 mm wrenches in your tool kit.
It’s a little like being a dentist.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The bottom ones are hard to get a wrench on, a small 10mm wrench done by feel. Some are accesible from the bottom of the car reaching up. The downpipes with the 3 nuts each are doable with a long extension, swivel, and ideally an air or electric impact gun.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Howdy- drop the exhaust..

That’s the down pipes that have the 3 big copper nuts at each manifold all the way to the tail pipe...
Now - using the 12 mm box wrench remove the 6 copper nuts at each manifold.
Only use a box wrench to loosen the nuts

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
12 point wrenches help a lot once the bolt is free. I did all of mine by hand, but my car isn’t from Ohio.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
yes if you are taking the head off remove and reinstall the manifolds with the head off, I missed that part

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Do you have access to a lift? I went from below with extensions. I trust you know those downpipes are NLA from BMW although Ebay.de seems to have a bunch for sale.

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
literally did this today. I have 2 bolts on the head that are rounded (from the previous owner)
I was able to reach the 3 nuts on the downpipe using a 14mm and 2 wobble extensions (about 16 inches). you don't need a lift, I took the front wheel off, put a jackstand under the crossmember and did it laying on my back.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Walloth...

Attachments

• 679AC3F6-1482-44D5-8F99-CFA9BD861F77.png
    679AC3F6-1482-44D5-8F99-CFA9BD861F77.png
    359.2 KB · Views: 158

mtiger_dds

Site Donor
Reaction score
literally did this today. I have 2 bolts on the head that are rounded (from the previous owner)
I was able to reach the 3 nuts on the downpipe using a 14mm and 2 wobble extensions (about 16 inches). you don't need a lift, I took the front wheel off, put a jackstand under the crossmember and did it laying on my back.
That's what I did yesterday. No lift here either, so I got it up on stands to figure out the access and soaked the bolts in penetrating fluid.