Removing front window motor

PaulinPa

Reaction score
On a 74,do I have to take out the vent window frame too,or is there some trick I'm missing?Got the outside chrome trim off(eewww ugly under there!)Got the glass out too.Just hopin the frame could stay.Thanks.

Wish I'd seen those pictures last week - I replaced the motor on my '75 at the weekend.

My motor is a little black box - a little different to the older type.

I pulled the lower part of the door panel off, ie from the ashtray down, which isn't hard. Then I unscrewed the regulator from the door. I couldn't get the regulator and motor out in one piece. So I actually managed, although it was difficult, to remove the motor from the regulator while they were inside the door, and screw on the new one.

Let me know if you'd like more info.

Now to tackle the rear.

PaulinPa said:
On a 74,do I have to take out the vent window frame too,or is there some trick I'm missing?Got the outside chrome trim off(eewww ugly under there!)Got the glass out too.Just hopin the frame could stay.Thanks.

The motor/gear assembly on a 74 is thicker than the sardine can earlier style,sooo I couldn't get the driver side out without taking out the vent window frame.Oh well, easier to clean window channel and replace channel felt.By the way ,the Blue Book is absolutely worthless for coupes about window removal and especially for 74 and later cars.Pictures are all for Bavaria.Did they print supplements for later cars?

I agree that the blue book is not always helpful. I'm not aware of any supplements published. I'm surprised that you needed to remove the vent window. I retrofit an E-28 motor to my drivers window and it is about a half inch thicker. It was harder but with some careful positioning I got it in and out.

While you have the vent window out it would be a good time to replace the rubber seal. Some folks have been able to remove the window glass without drilling out the rivets but it didn't want to break the pivot pivot pin so I drilled and replaced the rivets.

Kurt

Back