Removing the brake booster... what's holding it in?

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
After finally freeing the brake lines from the corroded MC, I am trying to remove the big booster. All 4 bolts in the back are off and the vacuum hose is disconnected but when I try to pull it out, it comes out one or two inches and then there is a springy reaction from something inside the center tube attached to the firewall. I loosened the dust boot attached to a square "holder" that squeezes between the booster and its bracket but there is something that still wants to stay inside.

I did a search for "remove booster" without success...

Is there anything that needs to be disconnected inside that horizontal tube?

Doh! I was wondering if it might be a "two way" securing system.

Having only replaced MCs before, I had assumed that is was all a similar collection of "one way" push rods system but now that I think about it...

Thanks Chris.

I found this excellent diagram posted by MMercury in another post.

I assume the easiest is to remove the bolt at the pedal itself. But that means that when you pull the booster, that whole linkage will some out as well. As that the way it is always done?

Thank you.

Attachments

• 33000001.jpg
    33000001.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 241
Thank you Chris. When searching the subject I came across several posts in the 2002 forum describing how reattaching the clip that secures the bolt to the pedal is a major pain. I had a quick look last night under the dash and although the steering column is a bit in the way, it did not seem too terrible. Is it easier on the coupe than on the '02?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not difficult to remove the bolt. You'll need a 17mm and 19mm box wrench. It helps if one is a ratcheting box. You'll need to be sure that nothing is in the way of the booster since you'll need all the room you can get to pull it and the shaft out of the pedal box assembly. Be sure to save or replace the bushings on the bolt that attaches the booster linkage to the pedal.

The 2002 has a clip accessible on the booster mount, the coupe doesn't. It just means you have to pull the booster quite a ways forward and clear the brake pipes.

Thanks Mike and Chris.

Mike, mine did not have a 17 and 19 bolt or nuts. Just one "rod" going through the pedal, flared on one side and secured by a clip on the other side. All I had to do was take off the little clip and pull the rod/bolt on the other side and then slide the whole shebang out. As you mentioned it takes a lot of room up front as the brake lines and dipstick and other things get in the way.

Back