Removing underhood insulation

ccr2002

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ok, i couldn't sleep so i decided to removie the underhood insulation on my car. After about an hour i had the crud off the two outer sections but not the adhesive yet. The center section is quite baked on and is proving difficult for my wife's plastic spatula (i better throw it away before she sees it) to remove.

Any suggestions? Would it be easier when it is dry or wet? What about goo gone or something like it? Just scraping is wearing me out.
ccr

removing old glue underhood

"easiest way"--thats not really descriptive of this unpleasant task--but if hood is off and you have it horizontal on a well padded pair of saw horses it is much easier to deal with--I have recently done this to the underhood of a very low mileage Bavaria that I have--used regular mineral spirits and body shop blue plastic tool for scraper--no risk of damage from this tool used for smoothing body putty. Take your time and have waste container nearby.

With hood in the horizontal position--also much easier to install the new underhood pads

PS & Heads up--the Bavaria mentioned above is an outstanding original specimen, that I spent 18 months sorting it completely at 67,700 miles-- included a few enhancements--now at 70,800 it is in near show condition throughout--a candidate for an upcoming UK Car Mag article--is being offered for less than half the price of a comparable CS--a much rarer survivor, and actually drives better than most Coupes--if any Coupester is interested in this fine companion family car and one of the nicest surviving BAVS in the Western US--always local and rust free--can send detailed info and pictures to any interested party--test drives welcomed.

Many years ago I used a product called "Goo-Gone" to remove the adhesive residue from the underside of the hood.

I believe 3M also makes a product which will remove the adhesive, but I'm not quite sure what it is called. Either way it is a royal PIA to get that stuff off and requires great patience.

I believe Michael is talking about 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner, It's usually available at automotive paint supply outlets - it works very well.

Mark

Removing insulation

The 3M stuff was recommended on the e24 board. I bought
some at auto supply shop but have not gotten around to
using it yet on my 635, since it did not sound like much fun. I
have targeted a Saturday in April. Fortunately the PO of my coupe had
done this for me already - and, yes, he said it was a PIA and an indication
of his devoted care.

Unfortunately it is not that easy to take off the hood on the e9 -
well it is "easy to get off", but ideally should have flat to reallign and that
means taking out radiator.

underhood insulation

Yes it is 3M Adhesive Remover. Goo-Gone also works but I have only used the 3M product. You have probably already done it but make sure you use a plastic tarp over the engine/body to collect all the residue if not removing the hood.

Removing insulation

I just completed this task last month. I used a puddy knife with lost of goo-gone. No the puddy knife did not leave any scratches. Don't ask why or how, it just worked. The final clean up was with an enviromently unfriendly solvent. :cry:
I hope the pictures work for you.
Pete
2800CS040.gif

Picture023.gif

Picture028.gif

thanks

Pete,
that's a beautiful site. I'm still fighting the crud...i bought some goo gone today and it's helping some. a putty knife would work i bet...but i was too scared it would scratch the paint.

on another note...Murray told me you might be willing to help me with my mechanical clock in the CS and also in my 73 tii. if so please pm me or email me

[email protected]

Adhesive cleanup

Xylene or Xylol is the basic solvent found in many of the adhesive cleanup products. 1/2 the price of the advertised brands. Like the rest, It should be confined to those areas you don't mind removing the "shine" from.

Xylene

Be very cautious! I am a chemical manufacturer and know Xylene fairly well, definitely have alot of ventilation, rubber gloves and try not to breathe very much......a known carcinigen, but it is also heavily used in brake cleaners that are everywhere, go figure.

Material Safety Data Sheets

Very sound advice. In fact, if the nasty's are not specifically listed on your proprietary over the counter mystery formula, the way to get them is often from the MSDS's- Material Safety Data Sheets- which by law, must be made available to you from the manufacturer.

A commercial product known as "Lemsolv" which is one of those citrus based products will work, but be careful it will also rip the paint right off too! I should know
Mal

PS you can also use petrol and or diesel, kerosene or parafin, but do be careful....

Back