Repaired My Quartz Clock By Replacing Both Capacitors

thehackmechanic

Reaction score
[12/21/23 broken photo links repaired]

The clock on my '73 CSi had read 12:15 since I bought the car in 1986. As per a prior thread, I had pulled the speedo to repair the odometer, which will be the subject of a different post. But while I was in the neighborhood I thought I'd fix the clock.

IMG_0289-1024.jpg

This is the later-style quartz clock. I found a very good thread on the Pelican Parts web site; there doesn't appear to be much difference between the clocks used on the Porsche 914 and our E9s. They both use two types of clocks -- an early mechanical one with a separate back cover for easy access, and a later electric quartz one that requires the cover to be pulled off for the clock to spill its guts.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/mult_vdo_clock_repair/mult_vdo_clock_repair.htm

With the clock out of the dash (pulled out from underneath), I first wired it directly to the battery just to make sure it was really dead. It was.

I then pulled my other clock out of the instrument cluster from the 2800CS I parted out many years ago. It was dead too. Since the faces of the two gauges are subtly different, I thought I'd fix the correct one (the quartz one), even though it is more difficult to crack open than the mechanical one.

I basically followed the instructions on the Pelican site:

--The chrome bezel holding the cover down has to be pried up; this is by far the most time-consuming part.

--The three small screws on the back have to be undone.

--There's a little solder cup on the back whose function is not entirely clear. What it is is the ground connection of the internals of the clock to the metal case. Once the bezel and face and the three screws are off, touch a hot soldering iron to this and the internal literally drop out. Be prepared. You probably want to position it face down on a facecloth, not a hard surface.

IMG_0291-1024.jpg

--You then remove a little round insulation circle and a foam insulation pad that prevents the back of the clock from shorting against the metal case.

IMG_0288-1024.jpg

The Pelican article references the frequent failure point as being the 47 and 100 microfarad capacitors. I don't have the ESR meter needed to do diagnose bad capacitors, so I simply replaced both of them. They were available at my local Radio Shack, part numbers 272-1027 (47 microfarad) and 272-1028 (100 microfarad), $1.49 each. If you can solder wire, you can unsolder the old caps and solder in new ones. Just remember to note which side of the cap you're removing is marked as negative on the side of the cap, and put the negative side of the new cap in that same hole. And go light with the soldering iron when installing them; you don't want to leave it on too long and pop anything.

IMG_0287-1024.jpg

With the new caps installed, I then applied 12V to the tab and ground to the post, and immediately heard and saw the little motor come to life. I waited a few minutes, and sure enough, the minute hand began to swing around.

IMG_0290-1024.jpg

I'm buttoning it up now. When you reassemble it, put the three screws in the back to draw the guts tight against the back of the case, then resolder the little ground post.

On the one hand, it was incredibly satisfying to, for three bucks, do what North Hollywood Speedometer would probably charge me $120 for (nothing against NHS; they do great work and would certainly clean and lubricate it while they're in there).

But I have to say, I have mixed feelings. I'd gotten so used to it always being 12:15 in my coupe. In a certain sense, time will begin to pass in my E9 for the first time since I bought it in 1986. Neither it, nor I, are immortal any more.

--Rob

Last edited:
Way to Clean Plastic Clock Face?

The face of this clock isn't glass; it's plastic. It has some light discoloration that isn't coming off with Windex. Anyone have a recommendation for a way to clean it?

I cheated and sent mine to North Hollywood Speedo. After they renewed my clock, all the other gauges looked terrible so be prepared for that possibility. I ended up having them all done.

David, I had that experience with the speedo in my 911SC. It's one of the reasons why I'm doing the E9's speedo and clock myself, and limiting myself to cleaning the glass but not the face or the needle.

Wow, that clock has some lost time to catch up.
Now let's see if you can fix the mechanical clock.

BTW, shouldn't it read made in West Germany? Maybe VDO knew East Germany would stop when its capacitors blew.

The face of this clock isn't glass; it's plastic. It has some light discoloration that isn't coming off with Windex. Anyone have a recommendation for a way to clean it?

I haven't actually tried this on the e9 clock face, but here's an idea: Auto stores sell a polish for use on yellowed, plastic headlight covers. It's just a fine abrasive that takes off the outer layer of plastic discolored by UV.

I haven't actually tried this on the e9 clock face, but here's an idea: Auto stores sell a polish for use on yellowed, plastic headlight covers. It's just a fine abrasive that takes off the outer layer of plastic discolored by UV.

I used a product like that on my clock face and it worked well - cleaned up the slight discoloration so that it's now clear. Now I just need to fix the clock so it actually keeps time.

John

Quartz Clock

If anyone is looking for a movement for 1 of these clocks! almost every Euro car from the 70's & 80's have the same VDO movement!! so are very easy to find and the only thing I have ever seen go wrong is the Capacitors! replace them and a light amount of oil on the motor and gears and you will get another 40 years!!

I cheated and sent mine to North Hollywood Speedo. After they renewed my clock, all the other gauges looked terrible so be prepared for that possibility. I ended up having them all done.

I had the same experience with getting the odometer repaired. The spedo looks like new, the rest of the gauges don't.

Duuhhhh, I am guessing the capacitors needing replacement are those two blue/black cylinders in the fourth picture?

As for cleaning plastic, stepping up through various grades of abrasive is the ticket. I have cleaned/cleared a couple very poor looking motorcycle windshields starting with very fine wet/dry sandpaper, then going up through the grit levels then using polishing compound. It would also have been nice to have a fine soft string buffing wheel, but I don't.

i have a question regarding the mechanical clock vs. the quartz clock. as i have mentioned before, there is a color difference between the numbers on 2800cs vs 3.0cs (i have 2 versions of each and the dates on the back verify this). so here's my question, how hard would it be to take the 2 clocks apart and put the mechanical faceplate on the quartz clock? my mechanical clocks don't work so well and i have a quartz clock that does ... but i have 2800cs gauges in my car

or would it be better to just send the clock to N. Hollywood and have them fix it

Don't use 2000 grit paper on plastic lens!

I tried wet-sanding the plastic lens with 2000 grit paper. Bad idea. 2000 is a very fine grit; it feels like newspaper. Don't be deceived. DO NOT DO THIS!! It scratched the crap out of the lens. I then tried toothpaste to clean it up, but it was too mild.

I bought the Turtle Wax Headlight Restore kit at Autozone for nine bucks, and the polish in it worked perfectly.

Whew!

Back