Replacing Bumpers

johnrob

Reaction score
My '74 Cs has those "big" US style bumpers. If I change to the more elegant skinny chrome European bumpers are the mounts in the correct place or is some modificaton required? Is there anything I need to watch out for besides that?

74 cs early bumper

I had my big bumpers swapped (both front and rear) for early model chrome bumpers. The rear is pretty straight forward. The front I used the early bumper brackets and had it bolted to the original location for the mounting points used by the former big bumpers. I also had a cover made and painted to match the color of my car so that the large hole is concealed. Turned out fairly nice.
JP from A1 Imports (bay area ) worked on the conversion for me.

I would post pictures but dont know how. Can email to someone for posting of if interested I can email to you privately.

Cheers

if you mail a copy to me, I'll see what I can do to put them up in the gallery if you're unable to. They may be a good reference to those of us with big bumpers.....

[email protected]

Thanks

Pictures from TTsf:

There were two attempts to the bumper conversion. The first one was reusing of the existing big bumper shock, compressing and tack welding the bumper on the shock. The problem was trying to hide the opening of the shock poke through at the front valance. The second attempt was to create a custom mounted bracket using the early style bracket and welding onto it a connecting piece for attachment. The body shop then fabricated a bent metal “L” shape to match the contour the front valance and had it painted to match the body color.

Hope this helps everyone. The concept is quite simple but careful attention to detail and fabrication was what made it successful. Many people have told me that it will be an obvious transformation but I think it looks fairly close to the original. I have also attached a before and after picture of the bumper transformation.

IMGP3538.jpg
DSCF00064.jpg

DSCF00063.jpg
DSCF00062.jpg

DSCF00061.jpg
DSCF00060.jpg

DSCF00059.jpg
DSCF00058.jpg

DSCF00057.jpg
DSCF00056.jpg

DSCF00055.jpg
DSCF00054.jpg

DSCF00053.jpg
DSCF00052.jpg

DSCF00051-1.jpg
DSCF00050-1.jpg

DSC06366-1.jpg
DSC06354-1.jpg

DSC06353-1.jpg
DSC06352-1.jpg

If anyone is interested I do have a really clean (new never installed) front bumper for sale. Not cheap but less than the usual suspects.

PJ

Back