Replcing rear window motors.

Simufly

Reaction score
IMG_2249.JPG It seems that e28 motors can be used to upgrade the rear windows on later cars. Is this just a plug and play option, I assume the e28 mechanism is not required, just the motor units. Will the plugs require changing too.? Are these the correct type?

Last edited:
Rear E28 motors can be used for both front & rear replacements for series 2 cars. You only need to replace the motors, not the mechanism and it's a really easy job.Remove the white plastic bracket from the motor and cut the plug from the lead and fix spade terminals.
If i remember correctly (and search the threads here) you'll need to use a shorter screw for mounting the front motors to clear the mechanism.

Your image appears to be front E28 motors, which won't work - you need the rear motors

Your image appears to be front E28 motors, which won't work - you need the rear motors
Mm. Done a bit more research, it seems that there are two different motors for the rear windows on the e28, up to 83 ending in 247 and after 83 ending in 397. They are retroactively exchangeable. Which I wonder is the direct plug and play for the e9?

Last edited:
Mm. Done a bit more research, it seems that there are two different motors for the rear windows on the e28, up to 83 ending in 247 and after 83 ending in 397. They are retroactively exchangeable. Which I wonder is the direct plug and play for the e9?
Yes there are. I was able to replace my front motors, but the second lot of E28 motors do not fit on the rears. I will take a look at the ones that work and see whether there is a model number on it or something to distinguish it from the motors that don't fit.

Correct Bosch part numbers end in 026 and 027.

Attachments

• 05D9925F-882B-4679-B4DC-C17314F32521.jpeg
    05D9925F-882B-4679-B4DC-C17314F32521.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 181
Rear E28 motors can be used for both front & rear replacements for series 2 cars. You only need to replace the motors, not the mechanism and it's a really easy job.Remove the white plastic bracket from the motor and cut the plug from the lead and fix spade terminals.
If i remember correctly (and search the threads here) you'll need to use a shorter screw for mounting the front motors to clear the mechanism.

What is a series 2 car? When did they begin?

Back