Resto completed& insurance appraisal question

G

Reaction score
[/img] [url]http://www.fototime.com/inv/B4FF03AF602C06B

Resto finally completed..well 95% anyways still missing odds and ends and some hood adjustments etc.. to do..but overall very happy the way she turned out.. Some Pics could be found at the link..

I am insured with a classic car insurance company who insisted that the coupe be evaluated by a classic car appraiser..They evaluated the car at 27k USD ..Umm this doesn't seem right to me..I would like to dispute this evaluation.. Seems a little low to me considering that the car was restored A to Z....Betwwen the original owner who started the resto and myself we spent almost double that!! I understand that you never get back what you spend on a resto and that there is not a huge demand for coupes..But this evaluation seems too low ..
Anyplace that I can find current coupe values ? if I dispute the appraisal they'll want some sort of proof that the car is worth more.

Big thx to this board for the education,information and helping to find parts. [/url]

Giorgio,
Considering it's carbureted car, I think $27k is pretty fair. Five years ago that was good money for a CSL, and prices for CS's have not tracked up as fast as CSL's have. For vintage cars, originality is usually paramount to maximum value too, so the Nardi wheel, modern stereo head unit and read deck speakers are all points off in that context.

And please don't consider any of that criticism -- your car is beautiful! I can't imagine anyone here not being proud to own a car of that quality.

I just completed my two year restoration into a #1 driver, 87,000 original miles. I got insured through Parish Heacock at $35,000 agreed value, not stated. This means if the car gets stolen, I get $35,000 and not have to debate a value. Regarding the future value, who knows- it's just like homeowners who think their house is better and more valuable than anyone else's. I think $35,000 is the top end for a 3.0 CS that adjusts for inflation as time moves on. Good Luck.

WOW Gorgio!

That came out great! Nice interior.... :wink:
Definitley a project to be very proud of. Cheers to the Black Beauty!

I'd have to agree that w/ the other's post as to extremely well done restoration or perfect correct original CS is in the $25-35k range, with the higher prices ($35K+) for the rarer CSL and CSi's or a car with very interesting/famous provenance.

Of course, you can always get a different apprasial/quote if you think different......after all, apparsials are untimatley opinions.

with all the time etc I've put in my project, I'm sure I'll be a dissapointed with its apparsial too.....but that was never part of my motivation.... :twisted:

just my .02 and now time to enjoy all that hard work!!
I'm right behind ya.
-shanon

Congrats / undervalued

G,
Congratulations on such a detailed and highly diciplined restoration.
Your final result is stunning.

Regarding the valuation: I would seek a second opinion. $27k based on auction sales of CS's is way under market for your car.

I would suggest you contact Jeff Hyman at classic auto appraisals. His email is: [email protected]

Keep me posted at: [email protected]

SUPER!

Going from Chamonix to Schwartz was brave, but what a wonderful job. I always thought Schwartz was the most elegant color on the E-9 and you've confirmed it. Way to go!

You may also want to check out Hagerty Auto Insurance.

My appraisal process was simply sending them pic's of my restoration. We came to an "agreed to value". It was a balance of market value and what it would cost to re-do the restoration in the event of a total loss.

Basically I picked my own value, for the premium I wanted to pay. You should have no problem with a $35 to $40k value if you want to pay the associated premium

Thx guys..appreciate your input.

Ps... Tony..Regarding the non original items...No criticism taken whatsoever
Weird thing is..I offered to show evaluater pics of resto... receipts..and asked if he will take a look underneath the car....He wasn't interested.
He then asked for receipt for stereo !!
And are those wheels original!
Also told me it was The 2nd bimmer he evaluated that day.
Told me he evaloated a 635csi.. "UMM..Really..didn't know that they were worth all that much...What did you evaluate it at ?..... His response 28k USD !!!

Beautiful car - how did you install CSL spoiler?

I have a fiberglass repro that I would like to install on my CS but it has no bolts or mounting brackets. On my e24s they have various brackets and bolts.

Do I need to get brackets or where does one drill (scary) mounting holes?

Again a spectacular resto - I have no quibbles with your tasteful mods.

But I wouldn't let my son drive it!

You may also want to check out Hagerty Auto Insurance.

My appraisal process was simply sending them pic's of my restoration. We came to an "agreed to value". It was a balance of market value and what it would cost to re-do the restoration in the event of a total loss.

Basically I picked my own value, for the premium I wanted to pay. You should have no problem with a $35 to $40k value if you want to pay the associated premium

I use Hagerty too. I bumped my value up a little a couple years ago, but you guys have taken it to another level. Given your precedent, and what I'm seeing sales at lately, I think I'm going back and bumping to $20-25k.

I might be able to replace my car with the equivalent for less than that, but I'm in the no-man's land between restored and original -- shell mostly restored, interior still needs it, mechanically excellent -- so I think it would be tough to find a car that is truly equivalent, meaning I'd need $$$ to get at least back to where I am.

Re: Beautiful car - how did you install CSL spoiler?

gkb said:
I have a fiberglass repro that I would like to install on my CS but it has no bolts or mounting brackets. On my e24s they have various brackets and bolts.

Do I need to get brackets or where does one drill (scary) mounting holes?

No brackets that I know of...I looked at a few past issues of BMW magazines that had pics of CSL'S and followed the same screw pattern that were displayed in the pics..I ended up using ..the rounded dome shaped bolts that are used to mount the bumpers together along with nuts and 1 screw on each side of the front lower wheel well edge..the air dam clips to that part as well...If your putting the front bumper back on the screws or bolts cannot be seen.....Happy drilling.:}

Giorgio

Back