Restoration Experience

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Whoamong us has had a recent restoration? Where was it done?
Partial? Complete? Concours?
Can I ask the cost?

Stan

Stan.
The cost...
Well besides the panels, paint, and materials
Blood sweat and tears
endless cups of tea
and the satisfaction of getting the job done!
I am probably in for £2000 in panels and materials right now

On a more serious note a typical commercial restoration to "almost" concours would cost about £40 - £60 per hour ($80 - $120 an hour) and your probably talking 1000 man hours :shock:
Malc

Hey Stan,

I suppose you've asked that question with some assurance that your wife doesn't read the post's in this forum? Personally, I have no such certainty...but I can say that

since our cars share the same path to ownership...you no doubt, have an idea of the price range from that source.

Further, I'm not sure a restoration really ever ends. I've tweaked things and continue to finds things to change or update.

Considering the cost of parts, I'd say a decent restoration will cost at least what the better cars have being selling for.

Then again, there are the coupes being sold by Bimmer Bros...

Look forward to chatting, in person and in confidence, at Watkins Glen...

Very obviously it depends on what your car needs doing to it and where in the world you're doing the repair. Now that I'm spending quite a bit of time in an automotive restoration shop (working on my car), Malc's time estimate of 1000hrs is "normal" for most cars. In NZ you're looking at NZ$50 - NZ$70 per hour.

But getting the right people to do the job once only is probably the most important thing - there are many people out there willing to take your money and promise what you want to hear.

I was gullible (I know better now) and my car will have been painted three times in its 'restoration':
- first after being ripped off by a very bad bog and patch over rust job,
- second time by only doing the rear of the car (properly by good guys) and then discovering the front of the body also needed lots of work,
- third time will be the lucky last as it's definitely being done properly!

I stopped counting the cost ages ago.....but have all the receipts for when I've finished to add up the damage then.

My suggestion - if you don't enjoy the reward that comes from doing a lot of it yourself be prepared for 1000hrs at what ever your local restoration rate is (plus parts) or don't start! Anything cheaper is a bonus.

This may sound alarmist but that's my experience and I suspect the experience of many others (not just e9 owners).

Cheers,
Bryce

I have done two ground-up restorations (on lf Fords) and a partial resto on a 635.

The first, a 65 Mustang, took 2.5 years. Figure an average of 10 hours per week, and you have 52*10*2.5=1300 hours.
Parts cost: ~$12K

The second, a 73 Bronco, was in better shape. It took 15 months, but I was putting in about 20 hours per week on it (ask my wife!)... So that's 4.3*15*20=1290
Parts cost ~$10K

On both of these I did 98% of the work myself, including paint (I did have a trans guy tweak the auto-transmissions on both cars...following my total teardown and rebuild)

Seems pretty consistent. These were nut and bolt restorations with an essentially new car emerging at the end.

My partial resto (1980 BMW 635 Euro) took about 8 months and was about 10 hours per week (344 hours), head, clean and paint engine, restore and paint engine bay redo entire interior including rebulding the heater/ac and the dash.
Including the new leather seat and door panel covers. I probably spent $3K on this project.

So, if you have limited rust and are not a concourse nut, figure on 1000 hours. If you do most of this yourself, then it will be "free".

I have 72 E9.. minor and manageable rust, needs paint, suspension refresh, interior and engine cleanup. I am figuring on $8K for the paint (not doing this one myself), $4K for the interior, and about $5K for other incidentals.. that on top of about 1000 hoursof my time....This in a clean but very tired $6K car..so the total investment wil be on the order of $23K..on the other hand, I'll have a pristine E9...

S

The car has a new motor from a 635csi where my mechanic ported the exhaust, installed a lightened flywheel and replaced the Webbers from the old engine. It is fast and smooth.

5 speed transmission, LSD, and a UUC shirt shifter

The interior is new leather.

Basically she needs fresh paint everywhere and repair of 4 inoperative bits:
2 power windows
windshield washer
power sun roof.

The AC worked but the Freon bled out so I need to swap over to the current day stuff.

AND.. I don't turn wrenches... :(

Cost of restoration

Malc-
I've given up on the tea some time ago, I'm now into the single malt and only 25% done.

Interior, engine, and suspension is done and on shelves. Cutting, welding and grinding is my nemesis. You're my hero!

Stan,

As you are in the northeast, I would check with Matt McGinn in Connecticut for a complete restoration. He hangs out a lot on the 2002 faq board (www.2002faq.com), he seems to be very fair, and does some damn good welding and painting. I think he did an e9 for one of the Petrus brothers that post here. If you PM him (I think it was Greg) you can get some personal insight. Matt's url is: www.sports-car-restoration.com. There are other guys like Lawrence in Wappinger's Falls who do great work but shop size is an issue. Most shops cannot keep many of these kinds of cars in the shop and run a successful business. They need the hang fender volume work.

I am in the midst of a restoration now. I think it's fair to expect to pay at minimum 15k to 25k between purchase, welding, wood, interior, and paint for a quality job. I'd say north of 25k. Good luck with your project and feel free to PM me. If I can be of assistance, I would welcome the chance to return the favor/courtesy extended to me.

On another note, I hope youre enjoying your G35. I have an 04 6MT in OB, with the sport suspension and Brembos. I dont care much for the new G37 as it seems like what the bastard child of a Toyota Solara and Pontiac G6 would resemble. However, the interior looks very clean and well thought out.

Cheers mate.

rns

Mine so far has been ~20k, about half of which was for body/paint work. I got a really good guy for that part, so it was about half what it probably should have been.

The mechanicals totalled around 3k, but I got a used engine, used trans, fuel injection, used LSD, and some other minor bits for that price.

The rest was mostly due to a few shops I used for specialty work. (brake rebuilding, driveshaft work, etc) Plus pops didn't want me working on any of the safety equipment or messing with a spring compressor.

Restoration costs

I picked up a fairly intact coupe that was a Calif car. It still had rust. It was totally disassembled when I got it. It needed rockers, a floor pan and rear package shelf. Fortunately I only paid $2500 for it. We built a rotiserie to mount the car to blast it and paint. Took off all the undercoating. ( Would not recommend it) and then finally painted it. The body work took a year and a half and we spent about $8500 for that. Now almost 3 yrs later, the final assembly and the fine tuning. Its been another 6 months. In all it has taken almost 5 yrs to finish this car and roughly $ 17,000. I did not do anything major to the motor. I am pleased and anxious to show it. I would not consider it Concourse, but it is like a new car and where can I buy a new BMW for that kind of money and get all the looks it will generate. If I had to do it over again, I'd buy someone elses work, cheaper and less agrivating.

Hey Stan,

How about Mario Langsten? He's frequently quoted in Bimmer and Roundel. His shop, Vintage Sports & Racing, is in your home state...

Check the link: www.vsr1.com

Don't know anyone who has personal experience with the shop, but he shoulddn't be too much of a risjk for some of the things you want done...

Chuck

Back