Restoration update

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have made some more progress on the project. Things are finally moving in the going-back-together direction. The car is up in BC at a small shop. It was recently blasted and is being re-assembled. Some sample pictures below, and more on the restoration website, along with a few new sections.

http://www.larsenarchitect.com/BMW/Restoration.html

Attachments

• BodyFront1.jpg
    BodyFront1.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 275
  • BlastedFront.jpg
    BlastedFront.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 252

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The outfit is called Gem Blasters (http://gemblasters.com/). They are in Chilliwack, east of Vancouver along Hwy1. They have this specialty blasting media, that is supposedly low impact to the metal. They blast delicate aluminum aircraft parts and such. The other Greg in the shop does the body work and painting. So far, it is going well - reasonably priced and good work.

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Very impressive (and ambitious) piece of work. How long have you spent on the body work? Where did you pick up the skill set to take it on?

I recognize the symptoms in the front fenders of what goes on under the bituminous sound mat. I wonder how many others out there have dared to strip it off to check? Mine aren't quite that bad but I know that if I open it up there is probably enough to warrant the same amount of work you have gone through.

One of the items on my list is to eliminate the sunroof which I think is the root of all evil with rust on these cars. Look forward to seeing more progress and the finished project back on the road.

Doug

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Aussie3.0cs - I plan on spraying it Polaris Neu (as original), unless I change my mind in the next week or two and paint in Bahama yellow (late 60's 912 color). It should be back from the body shop and painted in 3-4 weeks. I picked up sample mix of the Polaris (PPG Deltron 2000) and had him spray it on a scrap panel - looks good. I am using the later Polaris Neu color (060). There is apparently some overlap in 72-74 from the original to the Neu.

Doug- I picked most skills up from some reading and practice. I am learning as I go. MIG welders are cheap and easy to use. The finish welding of the body panels is being done by a professional. I have spent a lot of time around boats, cars and construction projects so cutting and welding is not a huge stretch. The most daunting part is the initial opening up of the car and that first "cut of commitment". I started taking the car apart in Nov of 2008. The metal body work portion took me around 6-8 months. I hope to be driving by the end of the summer.