'Restored' wiper arms

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Took a ratty chipped black painted wiper arm set that have been lying in my garage for years and with some paint stripper, a bit of metal polishing and in about 2 hours produced a factory satin finish that looks absolutely great in my view. Not sure of the metal type, but I think they are made of non-magnetic stainless steel. The earliest wiper arms were chrome plated, then the later ones were the satin finish. Were the later coupes that were outfitted with the black kidney grill, hood grills and the fender grills come also with the black painted wiper arms?

Bert
72 3.5 CSi
88 M6
The transformed wiper arms
d81909193cf38aceb2fc23c321d49df3.jpg

My original chrome plated wiper arms
66fa1cf8035f25f8ec9b5a8147f7ad72.jpg

pmansson

Reaction score
Well done. I agree that they look very period correct.
Now comes the tricky part: the hood and fender grills. I have always preferred the silvery ones to the black ones, esp. on the fenders as the black self adhesive background really calls for non-black grilles to contrast. I have several of the expensive, chromed plastic grills from W&N and they look a bit too shiny. The original ones were satin matt silvery/alu in appearance. Pretty close to your wiper arms, although I don´t have a NOS to compare with.
I will go and see my local bodywork/painter shop and see what he suggests.