Restoring/re-veneering dash...

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Re-doing/re-veneering my dash, and have a problem. Most parts are restoreable, except the far left (smallest) piece. I need to either procure one in good, restoreable shape, or to borrow one to replicate. I can get the upper curve/radius from the chrome trim piece, but the wood piece is either a compund curve, or has creative machining on a simple curve. Either way, mine looks like a stack of dry leaves (totally delaminated), and I think that this is a case of if it's almost right, it's wrong. help. Much thanks, Dave V. in NC

I'm in the middle of the same process. I just completed the veneer on my dash pieces and I am starting the side panels. I'd be willing to ship you the small piece to use for reference if you promise to ship it back promptly. My car is going into the shop this week for paint and minor body work so I will not be putting the dash back in for a few weeks.

Also, I'd like ot cross notes with you on the best finishes to use. I have started with a few coats of teak oil to bring out the color but I plan to use 5+ coats of clear finish of some type.

Please send me a personal note with your shipping address.

JJ - question on removing and refinishing veneer

I just purchased my CS and the wood is generally in great shape except that with the speedo/tach, etc. This is just a bit rough. Does this come off easily (I would suspect the bezels need to be removed)? A previous post made it sound difficult. Did you not like the teak oil or just want a higher gloss. I thought about just rubbing teak oil on if the panel was too hard to remove.

Thanks. I am in Baltimore where are you located?

Removing the dash is a bit of a process but all said and done it took me about 2-3 hours to have it all out. The instrument console itself is not too bad, especially if you are a Swartzwalde Elf and you have really small hands. You will need to do the following to get it out:

1. Pull the aluminum facia off the center dash front - this will reveal a set of about 10 screws.
2. Remove the screws and pull the dash front piece off.
3. Remove the panel below the steering column. Thiis has various screws holding it in place.
4. Drop the lower steering column metal plate; 4 long screws hold it in.
5. Remove the top 2 bolts from the top of the steering column and loosen (until almost out) the lower two bolts. This will let the entire steering column drop down about 1 inch or so - the console will not come out without doing this.
6. There are two long threaded bolts on the steering column in place. If you are lucky there are large thumb screws that you can reach and remove by hand. If not, there are 7-8 mm nuts holding it. You will need to locate these bolts and remove them. This is the part where being elf sized is an advantage.
7. Loose the speedo cable. Again, if you are lucky this will be finger tight.
8. With the nuts removed and the steering column lowered you should be able to pull the console out - there is a single cable harness that you will need to disconnect - this can be done after you've pulled the console most of the way out.

Oh yeah, I am in Rockville, MD.

Dash Parts

I have the left piece in OK condition. Finish coat is cracked and discolored on the bottom edge and edges need to be glued and clamped to get them back in order. E-mail me, and we'll work something out.

Back