Retro purchase

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I bought my first Porsche 928 in 1997, and over the next 18 years, I bought and sold several - a total of 6, including one that was a dedicated track car. When I sold the last one, a '94 GTS in 2015, I bought the '74 e9 (which was a retro purchase, as I'd owned 2 of those during the mid-70's to early 80's).

A few weeks ago, I went retro again and purchased a 7th Porsche 928. This is a 3 owner 928 GTS built in 1995, the last year of production. Only 75 of these are now in North America (77 imported in '95, two have been totaled). This one had spent it's entire life in southern CA until it boarded the truck for shipment. There is only one other in this color (Aventurine Green) in the US, and it belonged to a recently deceased friend in nearby VA. The PO had this car for 18 years and it was driven - not stored (149K miles). Lots of maintenance, but he was a driver who liked the car and paid for service, not necessarily into TLC or the owner community (he bought a Ferrari 458 last week, so he will need a healthy 'service' checkbook!). The TLC will be my task over the next year or so.

I'm now back and active in one of the other amazing car communities where owners are active maintainers as well as drivers, and also amazingly helpful to those attacking a maintenance or repair issue. When well maintained, the 928 is an amazing car. Picture was taken in CA before shipment

Gary

Attachments

• 20210319_155925.jpg
    20210319_155925.jpg
    582.9 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
I LOVE the 928. When that shape came out in 1977, it was like something form another planet. Not quite as earth shattering as a Countach, but striking nonetheless. I have driven one--lots of room and light in the airy cockpit, lots of grunt, great build quality. Eats up miles of highway at high speed. I fully approve!

Thanks guys.

In the late 80's I had a business relationship for a couple of years with the chief of new engine design for Porsche - Hans Mezger. At lunch one day at their research/development facility in Weissach, I asked Hans what would be the best 'used' Porsche to buy, as I never buy new sports cars. After some discussion with his associate, they settled on either the 911 SC that Hans owned, or a 928 the associate owned. After that recommendation, the associate commented: " I have a ski chalet in Switzerland which is 250 miles away. I get up in the morning, spend 2 hours (!!) driving to my chalet, put on my skis and have a great day. If Hans were to follow me in his SC, he would arrive exhausted and have to take a rest all day" Hans responded with "Ja wohl". The only Porsche's I've ever owned are 928's.

Rats! I saw the title and thought you had bought another coupe.

Pretty car though.

I LOVE the 928. When that shape came out in 1977, it was like something form another planet.

Douglas Adams thought the same thing in "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Will Smithers

Owner of a grey Porsche 928S (which Rob McKenna has been blocking for 20 miles) with a sticker that reads "My other car is also a Porsche", Will soaks Arthur Dent (and fails to give him a lift) when he is hitchhiking back on Earth at the beginning of the novel So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish. Will works in advertising and drinks in Arthur's local pub, the Horse and Groom and is owner of Know-Nothing Bozo the Non-Wonder Dog.

Rats! I saw the title and thought you had bought another coupe.

Pretty car though.
Chris,

Well - it IS a coupe. But, even less room for back seat passengers than an e9. The 350+ HP/Ft Lbs kind of makes up for that however! Hatchback makes a good hauler from Home Depot lumber department.

Gary

Back