RHD 507?

gatorgum

Reaction score
I don't know of any 507 messageboards so I'll put it out here.
You never know what's out there.

While going for a quick coffee at the gas station around my corner, the friendly guy at the cashier (with whom I got to know pretty well, by now) asked what I had been doing all weekend. I told him about my slow parting out of an old 3.0 CS and of my 'planned' RHD CSA restoration. He listened and then told me of a guy he knows that bought an old 507 from a junkyard in France about 35 years ago for about $900. He also said it was a right hand drive originally from England and had it restored here in Canada somewhere out east a long time ago.
My mouth was agape when he told me he lived here in Western Canada, yet is a bit of a hermit who's not into the car club thing - which is too bad.
I just checked the Unix Nerd's 507 info which claims all 254 made were left hand drive. Anybody out there know who is right?

By the way, he then said the coffee was on the house. I'm glad I made the trip.

Hmm, it's got me thinking. How many RHD 3.0 CSA's are on this board. I believe only 215 were ever made but the VIN #'s are mixed in with the LHDs if you look at the Registry's info. My VIN is 2230160 which is lumped in with the other CSA's - probably one of the first RHD 3.0 CSA's made based on that. I should really contact Mobile Tradition on this maybe.

VIN infor

I suspect the authority on VIN questions is Art Wegweiser. He and his wife Marilyn (still?) once did quite the research on VINs and production numbers.

Per Art, BMW didn't keep much in the way of records for cars of this age, and may not be able to tell you more than is on Art's site, bmwcsregistry.org I think it is.

Mines a 73 CSA RHD, VIN # 2231518, According to a list I have from Jaymic,

Sept 71-Oct 73 #2230001- #2232807 Total of 2807 cars (Both LH and RHD made in this batch)

Back