RHD CSi - need help finding one for Australia

Wazza

Reaction score
Hi Mick

I know of 12 cars on the road at the moment not for sale though. The last one on trademe was two months ago and an Auto CS. Mine was for sale last year but decided to do some work on it and keep for now.

Not sure about S.A., I did see one when I was living there. There is a site that has the numbers of cars that went to particular countries. I will post it if I can find it.

I heard 70's OZ muscle cars had gone crazy.

Cheers
Warren

dalli

Site Donor $
Reaction score
A Melbourne located manual polaris 72cs appeared briefly on CarSales today. Looked pretty good for the $15k asking price.

Only lasted half a day....

drewbaker

Reaction score
Hi Drew. Looks like a great project e9 you have there! Yeah, I have considered LHD models but ideally RHD since they make them is my first choice. The pound to the $Aus is really good at the moment too so it makes UK cars a lot more affordable. Almost got this one a few weeks ago, was just a little late. But the car looked in great condition, needed literally no work and the price was good. He sold it for 7,000 pounds. http://www.carandclassic.com/car/C133195/

Thanks for Sasha's details, I might call them and pop in to see the project on the go.

Just as an aside, how did the import process go? Time consuming and expensive or all sorted through an agent?

All hunting tips welcome!

We used a company called Montana Exports (www.montanaexports.com) and the guy was a pro. Didn't charge us any money till we had the car in our hands in Melbourne. I had the car shipped door-to-Port Melbourne and it cost about $5000AUD after all was said and done (tax etc.). It took about a month and was actually pretty easy, with only a few pieces of paperwork.

You can do it cheaper though. Such as dropping it off at the shipyard in America yourself, as shipping from the seller to the shipyard was $600USD. We brought in some spare VW parts in the trunk as well, so we saved some money doing that.

If you go this route then let me know as I could give you a lot of advice to smooth it out. I live in Los Angeles and would be totally down to help you out.

The car is at Deluxe right now getting pulled apart, so drop by and check it out.

E9Aus

Reaction score
A Melbourne located manual polaris 72cs appeared briefly on CarSales today. Looked pretty good for the $15k asking price.

Only lasted half a day....
Thanks Dalli. The car was listed on Sunday night for $15k and sold by Monday afternoon sight unseen for $17k. I was about to go and inspect it when the guy called me to say it was sold. He said he had had it for 32 years and it sat idle for the past 12 (never even started it), he had just replaced the brakes and put it up for sale. It looked to be in pretty good condition and sold for a fair price I think.

Ideally though I want to find a CSi and not a CS as he had, and I'd also prefer to have a sunroof too. Beggars can't be choosers though as they say, I was seriously considering it until it was sold so promppty.

The search continues! Cheers, Mick

E9Aus

Reaction score
We used a company called Montana Exports (www.montanaexports.com) and the guy was a pro. Didn't charge us any money till we had the car in our hands in Melbourne. I had the car shipped door-to-Port Melbourne and it cost about $5000AUD after all was said and done (tax etc.). It took about a month and was actually pretty easy, with only a few pieces of paperwork.

You can do it cheaper though. Such as dropping it off at the shipyard in America yourself, as shipping from the seller to the shipyard was $600USD. We brought in some spare VW parts in the trunk as well, so we saved some money doing that.

If you go this route then let me know as I could give you a lot of advice to smooth it out. I live in Los Angeles and would be totally down to help you out.

The car is at Deluxe right now getting pulled apart, so drop by and check it out.
Cheers Drew, I'll keep looking in the US and see what comes up. It in fact seems to me that cars in the US can even be more expensive than finding the right one here in Aus unless you buy one in need of total restoration like you have done - and the import costs add a fair bit too. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to undertake the whole project so would love to buy one in decent shape that can be a driver straight out of the box. Will keep my options open though. Thanks heaps for the tips on the import process and your project, will look them up when and if the time comes. Cheers.

E9coupeOZ

Reaction score
CS not a CSI on Ebay

Hi all,

Just wanted to mention that the E9 curently listed on Ebay is not a CSI but a CS according the supplied VIN. Also this car was originally Tiaga Green metallic. This car was listed about a year ago on ebay and I did the research then and could see evidence in the detailed pictures the seller sent me back then.

Hope this helps someone make at least an informed purchase.

Good luck in the search!

Scott

E9Aus

Reaction score
Right on Chris, thanks for the heads up mate! I have been between jobs for the past 8 weeks but hope to be back and employed very shortly at which point I can seriously buy an E9! Woo hoo!! The one in Sydney looks really good but at $30k pretty steep. If it was closer to $20k I might be interested - and I'm not alone I guess as the past few E9's to be sold in Aus seemed to sell really quick, whereas this one has been avail for a week or so so far - mainly due to price I think.
When and if I get my job I'll call the guy if the car is still available. That could be as soon as tomorrow. Have been in touch with Bill at Ajay in Richmond as well.
Cheers,
Mick

alvchua

Reaction score
Hi Mick,

if u need more info about the Sydney CSi currently being sold by Greg, PM me - I owned the car prior to selling it to him - it was a 3 part trade for a 2002 Track car.

Alvin in Adelaide.

E9Aus

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for their replies. As it is I am still looking for a RHD CSi. If anyone has any leads in either the UK, New Zealand or Australia they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again in advance.

marke9

Reaction score
Hi Mick,
My 1972 E9 garaged in Adelaide will be advertised for sale when I get back to Australia in August, but you can get in early if you like! I have sent you an email, but in case you don't get it please email me to discuss details if you are interested.
Cheers,
Mark.