RHD CSL curiosa

CSL 1973

Reaction score
All the 500 RHD CSLs were produced between September 1972 and January 1973. Available on the market as from October 1972. As regards the marketing of these CSLs, there were two versions of the double-sided leaflet " Special RHD Equipment for Great Britain BMW 3.0 CSL". The first leaflet was printed in September 1972 and listed the free of charge RHD City package, including Power steering.

In the later version of this leaflet (dated February 1973) the Power steering was lifted of the City Package. As all RHD CSL cars were already built with the power steering, this was a smart way of asking the buyers to pay an extra 179 GBP.

These leaflets were folded-in the UK-market 6-page CSL sales brochure from September 1972 and the later version from March 1973.

At the time it was pretty difficult to sell the expensive CSL. A lot of marketing activities took place. It was, at the time, pretty common to see the RHD CSL as a company car in UK.

BTW, the most common color on the RHD CSLs was Fjord metallic (color code 037). Most unusual was Turf - Green uni (color code 073). The RHD CSL is today the most traced CSL with nearly 70% of all produced cars known.

The prices for the RHD version is rising. Recently, a pretty late Verona made an Auction-all-time-high for a street RHD CSL with 41 000 GBP. As a result of the rising prices in general, more and more CSLs are being renovated and put back on the market again.

Cheers
Henric

Last edited:

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Henric, when you say the steel panels were later substituted by alu I am confused. As far as I have seen all rhd csls had aluminium panels.

Regards,

Rohan

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Hi Rohan!

Of course you are right. My mistake (was mislead by an incorrect article). When I cross-checked with some UK CSL tests done in 1972, it's clear that the RHD CSL came with Alu panels etc.

Thx
Henric