Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Love the wipers!
Confused about this " I will not accept low offers, so make me an offer."

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
wonder if the seller realizes the value difference between LHD + RHD ... especially in the USA.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm no expert but..

Doesn't have the rear fog light that I've seen on CSL's.
Surprised to see the side marker lights
Doesn't have wheel arch extensions
Doesn't look like Scheel seats (headrests look like normal E9 units)

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Maybe that is why they smashed the marker lenses...

They RHD is no big deal, you can invert the picture with Photoshop.

loloe13

Reaction score
.. side markers with a RHD is ... unusual, is it not?

maybe the PO had way too many accidents and wanted the extra 'warning' markers, and those previous accidents damaged all 4 wheel arches in the process.

Doesn't have the rear fog light that I've seen on CSL's.
Surprised to see the side marker lights
Doesn't have wheel arch extensions
Doesn't look like Scheel seats (headrests look like normal E9 units)

dealhunter0

Reaction score
So... reading between the lines the consensus seems to be that this is not a true CSL...correct?

Anyone knowledgeable to chime in on the vin #?

Edit: I looked it up... vin seems to be in the correct range...weird!

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think it is a csl - just a hunch - need to look at things like the inner wings and see if the roof is thinner gauge steel to know more reliably.

Not sure why everyone is spanking it - might be a nice car.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
When imported Federalization could have required the side markers, must be a repaint as side mirrors are in the usual US only location. VIN is correct as a RHD CSL.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No spanking, I like the color and I cannot object the asking price.

The Aluminum parts should be easy enough to check and settle the CSL question.

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
-ouch-

Last edited:

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
The aluminium parts do not settle the csl question - its the body shell. However when one is swapping over aluminium panels they may forget to change the door hinges which were aluminium also.

rodspock

Reaction score
This car looks interesting to me.

I think it has a few things going for it:

- RHD - useful in Australia
- From SoCal - may not be full of rust

However:

- Gold is not the most popular colour (color for those in the US)
- Ugly side markers

This is likely to be a UK "city pack". The VIN is a RHD number. The left hand door is sitting proud - has it been replaced/reskinned fitted to a CS??

However I am intrigued how this car came to be in the US. Does anyone know the history of this car?

Let's assume that the body is rust free - what is the car worth in the US?

Cheers.

Rod

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Interesting car. This CSL is not previously well-known in the "CSL-community". I'm pretty sure it's a real CSL. Because of three important facts:

1: The VIN is correct for a Ceylon CSL (it's in the midle of the batch of some Ceylon CSL-cars)

2: It looks like the car has black headliner + black sun visors

3: With almost 70% (of all produced RHD CSLs) currently traced, it wld be very difficult for someone to "invent" a CSL with the correct VIN and within the correct color-batch. There are not many unknown RHD CSL VINs "available".

I agree, the car looks "suspecious" without the wheel arch trims and the presence of standard style E9 seats + headrests. But there cld be explanations. City pack CSLs, and specially the RHD CSLs, cld be ordered with standard E9 seats. Not officially, but still possible at the time. The wheel arch trims, cld have been removed. The additional side markers were mandatory for US-import at the time.

However, in order to be sure, the engine bay must be controlled and, as always, the engine nr (2285345?) is a very valuable hint.

I wld say, it looks like it's the real thing.

Cheers
Henric

Last edited:

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The aluminium parts do not settle the csl question - its the body shell. However when one is swapping over aluminium panels they may forget to change the door hinges which were aluminium also.

I think it does.
Swapping doors, hood, and trunk lid for aluminum, repainting the car, and selling for $30k a faux CSL would be a losing proposition.

Is somebody going to see this car? We love mysteries.

As for the story it is very simple, it was US postman that won the Lotto yet loved his job. Used the RHD to deliver post in Socal for years. Car was driven mostly in 2nd gear and has loose stamps in the seat crevices.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
$30k seems fair depending on rust situation

Too bad it's RHD. Not horrible to convert to LHD if you were redoing the paint and other areas anyway. Could make someone a very nice driver.
The most I've ever seen an RHD go for in the UK was 50k GBP ($80k USD) and that one was in really nice condition.

John

JC UK

Reaction score
Rhd csl vin22853435

Consulting the CS Register of the BMW Car Club UK I can confirm that this is an appropriate VIN for a 1973 3.0 CSL. The colour also fits into a batch of the same colour going from 343 to 347 and it is a "new" car in so far as it has not been on the UK CSL Register since before 1992 which the present register is based on (re-started in 2009). A few CSLs were purchased by US servicemen in the 1970s who took them back to the USA at the end of their tours of duty. Is this perhaps one of these cars? The side repeaters were probably required when the car was imported. It has 16" BBS wheels -OK that was a rare modification in those days. CSi seats - a retrograde step but possibly a conversion requested on delivery. Lack of wheel arch trims - a bit more worrying because they could have been removed due to accident damage. Personally I would NOT buy this car unseen without having it up on a ramp to check for shell repairs preferably with someone who knows what they are looking at. $30,000 would be a low price in the UK but possibly reasonable due it being non-original. Also check the provenance - it needs to have a decent service record and dates and costs for refurbishment (if any?). Cavet emptor - but you could be lucky.