Richard Cunningham

Man I can't believe it!

Some of my fondest memories as a child were watching Richie and the Fonz get into all those crazy situations. What happened was it that pesky shark?

I met him at the last few historics , he always took the time to talk to anyone interested in the csl, Hopefully the BMW corral will do some sort of tribute to him at this years event

PJ
73 csi

"Rug" Cunningham's passing far to soon

In 1981 I was very fortunate to have an M-1--#199 of the run--and drove it to Laguna Seca for the Historics--I promise you it was fun--so I repeated it 2 or 3 times!!. Laguna Seca was very dusty in those days and few if any knew what that "funny" BMW was so there was no corral of M-1's and the Ferrari folks were a little snobbish then. I chose to park it along the roadway and as I was getting out of the car this nice older gentleman approached me to say that his Son had one of those M-1's too. It was Mr. Cunningham Sr. and he stated his Son was coming along in a few minutes and he wanted me to meet him.

So that very day I had the priviledge of meeting both Senior and Junior and from time to time in following years would see Rug and chat with him at BMW and other events. I would observe that the Son followed his Fathers good example of being a very nice and down to earth human being.

We have prematurely lost a good friend and one of those key to bringing our favorite Marque and his passion for it to hundreds if not thousands of us.

Back