Ride Height

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Tony's survey has highlighted an issue that resulted from moving the battery from front to rear and changing the weight distribution. The front height at the well arch is now 1/2" more that the rear (only makes sense) and any other changes (bumper delete, air dam, manual steering, AC addition or delete) individually or in total will further change the relative heights.

I know there are spacers (donuts?) available. What heights are available and from whom? I know that TJ had to have a set made from Delrin. What are the isues with using rubber vs polymers? More stiffness?

Doug

I had to add the Delrin spacers in addition to the pads that were already installed. I have to check, but I believe I already had 3 dot (The thickest) pads installed and I still needed more ride height. Bear in mind that the provenance of my springs is relatively unknown though. They're supposed to be H&B (Alpina) but I really can't confim that.

How much weight have you moved from the front and added to the rear? I've also replace the spare tire with th 12v pump/liquid latex patch system that weighs about 5lbs. Frees up the tire well for my car cover.

I figured I've removed at least 100 pounds from the front of the car. I'm assuming the following weights (in #) but I'm ballparking them. I have yet to weigh all this stuff.

battery-50
power steering rack-35
hoses, reservoir, pump-15

Now, the battery has been moved to the back, and my subwoofer, amp, and rack have added at least this much. In the end I've probably just taken 100 pounds and added it from front to rear. The significant thing is that removing weight from above, or near the front wheels is much more attractive than having it at the back, so in the end I win.

Back