RIP John Prine

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I was at the infamous Flora-Bama lounge in Pensacola FL one night in the early 80's and he came in unanounced and played a set. Great night. If any of you have ever been to the Flora-Bama, you know what I mean. RIP.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i saw him many times, one great concert was at Rockefellers in Houston with Steve Goodman. knowing that he was sick, we've been listening to old and newer music from Prine for the last few days ... after seeing the clip on Colbert ... hoping he would pull through

first song of his that i heard - Dear Abby when i was in high school in the early 70's. i'm with you Mike
favorite songs - illegal smile, hello in there, angel from montgomery, knockin on your screen door, in spite of ourselves ... but there are so many more

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Like the line in the Joni Mitchell song, People's Parties ..."laughing and crying, they're really the same release..." Thats what listening to JP was. I still always laugh at Dear Abby, I still cry at Hello in There and Sam Stone. I feel like a part of me died tonight with him. Its a very sad time for those of us of a certain age.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I had this same sense of loss when other singer songwriters I grew up with pass away. Bowie, Petty now JP.

“I find it so surprising for my self to hear me say:
Everything is cool, everything’s ok”

Last edited:

Steven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Truly a great loss. I had the great fortune of seeing him at the Greek Theater here in Los Angeles, and it will forever be amongst my best memories. In the meantime, listening to his classics while driving around in the coupe.

Alice Couper

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I was at the infamous Flora-Bama lounge in Pensacola FL one night in the early 80's and he came in unanounced and played a set. Great night. If any of you have ever been to the Flora-Bama, you know what I mean. RIP.
What is it with this place, the Flora-Bama? I used to work with an attorney whose mother lived near there. She told me stories. I didn't believe any of them. She told me about the "Mullet Tossing Contest". I said: how in the hell can you have a contest for throwing a local hairstyle? She said: no, a mullet is a fish. I said: a fish? NFW.

Some time later, the Wall Street Journal ran a story about the Flora Bama. Sure enough, it detailed the Mullet Toss in graphic detail. I apologized, and have never doubted her again.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748704613504576268901532674000

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
All true. It still exists today, albeit in a much more corporate touristy way (it's huge now after being destroyed by hurricane Ivan in 2004), but back in the 80's it was a small, run down, hole in the wall bar and package store located on Perdido beach on the Florida-Alabama line (legally in FL). It was an eclectic mix of patrons: bikers, red necks, preppies, fast women, and locals all getting their tequila on. When going there for night time festivities you never knew if you were going to have the time of your life or get your ass kicked. Or both. The mix of people created an unusual energy in the place. Jimmy Buffet would often drop in also, although I never saw him play there. Drank with Kenny Stabler one night. What a hoot.

What is it with this place, the Flora-Bama? I used to work with an attorney whose mother lived near there. She told me stories. I didn't believe any of them. She told me about the "Mullet Tossing Contest". I said: how in the hell can you have a contest for throwing a local hairstyle? She said: no, a mullet is a fish. I said: a fish? NFW.

Some time later, the Wall Street Journal ran a story about the Flora Bama. Sure enough, it detailed the Mullet Toss in graphic detail. I apologized, and have never doubted her again.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748704613504576268901532674000